Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Lounge

Midas M32-IP console - rebooting itself?

(1/4) > >>

Sam Costa:
So I had an unusual incident happen on me this past weekend at an event with a full Midas M32 console. Hoping to find some answers.

Powered it up, started patching, 5 minutes passed by and everything froze on me, no meters were working, faders weren't moving when selecting different pages, nothing...
Turned it off and back on, booted right up. 10 mins pass and it rebooted itself!  :o
Everything came back on just fine where I last left off, another 10-15mins passes, reboots itself again!
There was no thumb drive installed, power was stable, no issues with that.
I checked to see what firmware version it was on, and it was 4.09
So I reinstalled the latest version from Midas website, successfully booted it back up and everything was ok.
15 mins passes and it reboots itself for a 3rd time.. By this time I grabbed my M32c/DL32 rack and put it to work and the rest of the night went great.

Does this sound like a hardware issue? Power supply issue? I wasn't able to load the previous version but potentially could be a firmware issue?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bill Meeks:

--- Quote from: Sam Costa on February 27, 2024, 11:49:46 AM ---So I had an unusual incident happen on me this past weekend at an event with a full Midas M32 console. Hoping to find some answers.

Powered it up, started patching, 5 minutes passed by and everything froze on me, no meters were working, faders weren't moving when selecting different pages, nothing...
Turned it off and back on, booted right up. 10 mins pass and it rebooted itself!  :o
Everything came back on just fine where I last left off, another 10-15mins passes, reboots itself again!
So I reinstalled the latest version from Midas website, successfully booted it back up and everything was ok.
15 mins passes and it reboots itself for a 3rd time.. By this time I grabbed my M32c/DL32 rack and put it to work and the rest of the night went great.

Does this sound like a hardware issue? Power supply issue? I wasn't able to load the previous version but potentially could be a firmware issue?

--- End quote ---

With that many self-reboots in such a relatively short time period, I would hazard to guess an internal power supply issue is most likely the cause. At least that would be the first thing to rule out. I would say firmware being the issue is unlikely, else there would be tons of similar reports.

Sam Costa:

--- Quote from: Bill Meeks on February 27, 2024, 02:44:41 PM ---With that many self-reboots in such a relatively short time period, I would hazard to guess an internal power supply issue is most likely the cause. At least that would be the first thing to rule out. I would say firmware being the issue is unlikely, else there would be tons of similar reports.

--- End quote ---

Noted.. Thanks. It was a house console, so who knows how old it is.

Brian Jojade:
Yeah, definitely sounds like a hardware issue.  First thing to check, of course, is if the power cord is connected tightly at both ends.  Yeah, that can cause problems!

Odds of it being a software issue are pretty low.  These consoles tend to be rock solid in that aspect.

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: Sam Costa on February 27, 2024, 11:49:46 AM ---So I had an unusual incident happen on me this past weekend at an event with a full Midas M32 console. Hoping to find some answers.

--- End quote ---

Hardware, likely power supply.

Do you use a UPS?  With another brand and a couple years before the X32, I had a number of incidents like you observed.  A UPS powering the mixer seemed to end most of those, but eventually the console PSU failed, too.  I think the UPS took care of a "soft" mains supply that the "fail in progress" PSU wasn't able to deal with, but was happy with stable 120VAC 60 Hz.  Until it wasn't.

Of the dozen or so X/M32 I've been responsible for or operate on a consistent basis, I've had one unit that lost part of the PSU and it was repaired at Music Thing's "care facility" in Las Vegas.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version