ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shure RF Cascade - buffered?  (Read 253 times)

Peter Kowalczyk

Shure RF Cascade - buffered?
« on: February 19, 2024, 07:41:01 PM »

Does anyone know offhand if the Shure 'Cascade' RF outputs, eg from the 844 antenna distributor are buffered, or if they're just in parallel with their respective inputs?  ... Wondering if I should anticipate some signal loss or degradation while using these ports.

My application-of-interest is a system with UA864 wideband antennas connected to a UA844 antenna distributor via some fairly long RG8x Coax runs.   There are three QLXD receivers in the rack driven directly by the UA844.  However, I often bring in my ULXD system for events, and wish to patch it into the house UA864 antennas rather than setting up paddles each time. 

I tried it last week, and my ULXD receiver seemed to work just fine connected to the house UA864 antennas via the 844's cascade output ports.  However, that puts a lot of BNC connections at the end of a long coax run, which doesn't sound ideal.  I'd feel a lot more confident if i knew the signal was buffered at the output of the 844.

Thanks for any insights!

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
Re: Shure RF Cascade - buffered?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2024, 09:36:19 PM »

Does anyone know offhand if the Shure 'Cascade' RF outputs, eg from the 844 antenna distributor are buffered, or if they're just in parallel with their respective inputs?  ... Wondering if I should anticipate some signal loss or degradation while using these ports.

My application-of-interest is a system with UA864 wideband antennas connected to a UA844 antenna distributor via some fairly long RG8x Coax runs.   There are three QLXD receivers in the rack driven directly by the UA844.  However, I often bring in my ULXD system for events, and wish to patch it into the house UA864 antennas rather than setting up paddles each time. 

I tried it last week, and my ULXD receiver seemed to work just fine connected to the house UA864 antennas via the 844's cascade output ports.  However, that puts a lot of BNC connections at the end of a long coax run, which doesn't sound ideal.  I'd feel a lot more confident if i knew the signal was buffered at the output of the 844.

"Buffered" isn't quite the right term when discussing RF isolation. There's approximately 20dB isolation output port to output port at frequency, which is 99% power loss. Input to any output will be nominally 0dB at frequency for the active multicouplers. The splitting circuit is a standard Wilkinson design

I would be far more concerned with the quality and size of the coaxial cable; at the very least it should be double shielded (braid over foil) and if RG8X size (.24"OD), no more than 25'.
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Shure RF Cascade - buffered?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2024, 09:36:19 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 19 queries.