Church and H.O.W. Forums for HOW Sound and AV - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Church and HOW Forums > Church Sound

Help a complete newbie with audio streaming.

(1/3) > >>

Chris Schaal:
I've been streaming my church service for over a year now. We know there's a better way to go about streaming but are in the dark about how and I'd like to understand it all since I'm the one going to be keeping up with it. Right now I have a laptop hooked to a video and audio capture boxes, and those are hooked to the main sound board in the front of the church and a PTZ camera connected to the wall behind my sound booth. The audio I get from the main sound system I can do very little with besides volume. So there are times dialogue is very soft and low while music is loud, kind of like watching television and the audio of a show you're watching isn't on the same level of a commercial.

I'd love to be able to control each audio input specifically for streaming but my setup now doesn't allow it. Would we need a separate sound board just for streaming? I don't want to mess with the main sound system that the music director and his band work through but I would like to give the people watching our stream a better quality audio experience. Would there be a way for me to control the audio for each input with it only changing what the stream is hearing and not the church itself? If there is a way how would we go about doing that and would it require cables from all lines to be laid out to the sound booth? I ask about the cables because the sound booth is about 75-100 feet from the main sound system and I don't know the limit to how far an audio cable can go distance-wise, or if that can cause a lag of some sort.

Thank you for your time and I greatly appreciate any help given.

Thomas Le:
We can't help you until your display name shows your real name.

Mac Kerr:

--- Quote from: Nersciple on February 01, 2024, 11:40:58 PM ---I've been streaming my church service for over a year now. We know there's a better way to go about streaming but are in the dark about how and I'd like to understand it all since I'm the one going to be keeping up with it.

--- End quote ---

Please go to your profile and change your name to your real full name as required by the posting rules.

Mac
admin

brian maddox:

--- Quote from: Chris Schaal on February 01, 2024, 11:40:58 PM ---...
 So there are times dialogue is very soft and low while music is loud, kind of like watching television and the audio of a show you're watching isn't on the same level of a commercial.

--- End quote ---

This is a very common problem caused by the fundamental differences between how we mix for a live space vs a "broadcast".

--- Quote from: Chris Schaal on February 01, 2024, 11:40:58 PM ---..
I'd love to be able to control each audio input specifically for streaming but my setup now doesn't allow it. Would we need a separate sound board just for streaming? I don't want to mess with the main sound system that the music director and his band work through but I would like to give the people watching our stream a better quality audio experience. Would there be a way for me to control the audio for each input with it only changing what the stream is hearing and not the church itself? If there is a way how would we go about doing that and would it require cables from all lines to be laid out to the sound booth? I ask about the cables because the sound booth is about 75-100 feet from the main sound system and I don't know the limit to how far an audio cable can go distance-wise, or if that can cause a lag of some sort.

Thank you for your time and I greatly appreciate any help given.

--- End quote ---

To answer these questions we need to know what mixing console you are using currently and what output from that console you are feeding to your live stream. It would also be helpful to know what else that mixing console is feeding. For instance do you have an AVIOM system or something similar or are you feed monitor speakers on stage.

Mike Caldwell:
Could you post a link to one of your more recent live streams?

How many people are on your AV team?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version