Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > The Basement

I found a use for bad audio

<< < (2/3) > >>

Bob Faulkner:

--- Quote from: Tim McCulloch on February 01, 2024, 05:35:54 PM ---The last HoW that asked me to help out seemed surprised that I had a duties and wages contract for them.  I've yet to have a burning bush tell me to work for free.

--- End quote ---
+1

brian maddox:

--- Quote from: Tim McCulloch on February 01, 2024, 05:35:54 PM ---The last HoW that asked me to help out seemed surprised that I had a duties and wages contract for them.  I've yet to have a burning bush tell me to work for free.

--- End quote ---

I had a similar but opposite experience when I moved to Savannah. My policy for helping out any non-profit is that I either do it for free or full rate. Anything in between sets up a dynamic where both sides think they are doing the other a favor which inevitably leads to resentment and hurt feelings. I joined the local megachurch and volunteered my copious experience to help them in whatever way they chose. While there seemed to be some initial interest in the skill set I brought with me, over time it became apparent that they really weren't all that keen on my involvement. In fact, It felt like I was met more with suspicion than acceptance. It was a very weird dynamic. I got on well with everyone, but all my offers to assist [for free] never went anywhere. The whole thing made me crazy for a while because it didn't make sense, and I really have a hard time with things that don't make sense. I have a few theories about what the whole deal was, but ultimately I just gave up trying to figure it out and let it go.

I did play on their music teams for the entire time we were there. I even filled in as the "Worship Leader" for a while when the staff position was vacated. So, Apparently that fit in with their volunteer framework a little better? idk...

Dave Pluke:

--- Quote from: scottstephens on February 01, 2024, 10:53:03 AM ---... sounded like a plastic thing from Walmart...

--- End quote ---

Speaking of Walmart Speakers - I was impressed by the clarity and projection of this little guy mounted on the side of their building the other day. Tried to zoom up as best I could but still couldn't read the logo.

Dave

Dave Garoutte:

--- Quote from: brian maddox on February 02, 2024, 02:41:13 PM ---I had a similar but opposite experience when I moved to Savannah. My policy for helping out any non-profit is that I either do it for free or full rate. Anything in between sets up a dynamic where both sides think they are doing the other a favor which inevitably leads to resentment and hurt feelings. I joined the local megachurch and volunteered my copious experience to help them in whatever way they chose. While there seemed to be some initial interest in the skill set I brought with me, over time it became apparent that they really weren't all that keen on my involvement. In fact, It felt like I was met more with suspicion than acceptance. It was a very weird dynamic. I got on well with everyone, but all my offers to assist [for free] never went anywhere. The whole thing made me crazy for a while because it didn't make sense, and I really have a hard time with things that don't make sense. I have a few theories about what the whole deal was, but ultimately I just gave up trying to figure it out and let it go.

I did play on their music teams for the entire time we were there. I even filled in as the "Worship Leader" for a while when the staff position was vacated. So, Apparently that fit in with their volunteer framework a little better? idk...

--- End quote ---

Perhaps, they were of the mindset that if it was free, it was worthless?  If you were paid, they might have taken you more seriously?

Brian Jojade:

--- Quote from: Dave Garoutte on February 02, 2024, 03:22:59 PM ---Perhaps, they were of the mindset that if it was free, it was worthless?  If you were paid, they might have taken you more seriously?

--- End quote ---

Believe it or not, that goes a LONG way.  Free or cheap gets treated as free or cheap, and it's really weird.

I USED to occasionally donate services.  Every time, I got essentially screwed over.  Now, no more. No discounts to ANYONE.  AND, I make sure I'm priced at the highest end of my market.

If I DO feel like donating my services, I write a check as a donation.  Now it's flat out amazing how differently you get treated when you are paid your full rate for a job AND you are one of the larger donors writing a check as a donation.

Net dollars may be the same, but wow do people appreciate you differently.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version