Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > The Basement

I found a use for bad audio

(1/3) > >>

scottstephens:
Hey All,

   So I thought that I was losing my passion for doing this crazy job. I was wondering about having a fire sale and just getting rid of everything or almost everything. I kept thinking: I am 56 years old, I don't want to buy anything else. But it must have been the winter doldrums.  I went to church with my wife the other day and the audio was terrible; loud, harsh, the voices were "poopy" sounding. The kid soundman was doing nothing to help them. The acoustic guitar sounded like a plastic thing from Walmart. I almost went nuts. It is a decent system, EV  QRx, Crown amps,  Shure QLX mics, and the ubiquitous x32. I kept thinking, it should sound better than this!  Then I wanted to run to the back and FIX it.  Thank God.  I mean what else would I do?!  I still want to do this.  But I still don't want buy anything else. Thank God again. Cause everything is paid off and making me money.
   And by the way, yesterday, I found a use for a Sound Tech speaker, you can stand on them to reach something. 

It's been a good week.

Scott

Chris Hindle:

--- Quote from: scottstephens on February 01, 2024, 10:53:03 AM ---
Hey All,.......   I found a use for a Sound Tech speaker, you can stand on them to reach something. 
It's been a good week.
Scott

--- End quote ---

And it didn't collapse on you?  A good week indeed !
Chris.

Craig Hauber:

--- Quote from: scottstephens on February 01, 2024, 10:53:03 AM ---Hey All,

   So I thought that I was losing my passion for doing this crazy job. I was wondering about having a fire sale and just getting rid of everything or almost everything. I kept thinking: I am 56 years old, I don't want to buy anything else. But it must have been the winter doldrums.  I went to church with my wife the other day and the audio was terrible; loud, harsh, the voices were "poopy" sounding. The kid soundman was doing nothing to help them. The acoustic guitar sounded like a plastic thing from Walmart. I almost went nuts. It is a decent system, EV  QRx, Crown amps,  Shure QLX mics, and the ubiquitous x32. I kept thinking, it should sound better than this!  Then I wanted to run to the back and FIX it.  Thank God.  I mean what else would I do?!  I still want to do this.  But I still don't want buy anything else. Thank God again. Cause everything is paid off and making me money.
   And by the way, yesterday, I found a use for a Sound Tech speaker, you can stand on them to reach something. 

It's been a good week.

Scott

--- End quote ---
Must be one of those old ones like I used in the 90's as a drum fill  -all rat-fur plywood with metal handles and grill.  Not only could you stand on it you could use it to wedge the pack from rolling in the truck.   I've seen too much crap audio products that are plastic and too rounded to stand on if they didn't crush first, with many being too light to even use as a reliable doorstop.

Yes pro audio has been a bit of a curse -hard to enjoy shows or events anymore without consciously willing and straining yourself to ignore the PA issues.
Which is sad because the gear nowadays is lightyears better than what we all started with and affordable too.

The advent of word processing didn't make everyone a pulitzer award author, same goes for pro audio I guess!

Thomas Le:
I unfortunately had to quit volunteering at a church I used to go to due to differences with the newly established AV team 2 years ago post COVID. Mix sounds like shit now but I could care less since the new team is paid and I was doing it for free all these years.

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: Thomas Le on February 01, 2024, 05:13:24 PM ---I unfortunately had to quit volunteering at a church I used to go to due to differences with the newly established AV team 2 years ago post COVID. Mix sounds like shit now but I could care less since the new team is paid and I was doing it for free all these years.

--- End quote ---

The last HoW that asked me to help out seemed surprised that I had a duties and wages contract for them.  I've yet to have a burning bush tell me to work for free.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version