Church and H.O.W. Forums for HOW Sound and AV - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Church and HOW Forums > Church Sound

Question RE: Seperate mixer for live streaming

(1/1)

Doug Lowthian:
We meet in a shared space on a college campus. Venue has a house sound system with a 16 channel mixer on a rolling cart with 3 wireless mics hooked to an amp/EQ and speaker system.

I set up each service by running an output from the house mixer to a Focusrite Scarlett USB audio interface then to my laptop and out to Zoom for live streaming. I also have two cameras to an ATEM Mini to my laptop for video. I monitor the sound with closed back headphones at the Focusrite.

QUESTION:
Can I replace the Focusrite with a Behringer Xenyx 8 channel USB mixer? I propose running the House mix from the House mixer, as well as mics for the piano or other instruments that do not require in house amplification into the Xenyx so I can control and hopefully improve the sound for the livestream.

Does this make sense? Thoughts?

Many, many thanks in advance for all your collective wisdom.

Cheers... :)

Mac Kerr:

--- Quote from: Doug Lowthian on January 30, 2024, 07:38:32 PM ---Can I replace the Focusrite with a Behringer Xenyx 8 channel USB mixer? I propose running the House mix from the House mixer, as well as mics for the piano or other instruments that do not require in house amplification into the Xenyx so I can control and hopefully improve the sound for the livestream.

--- End quote ---

This makes total sense. You would be headed toward best practices. Ideally the Xenyx would be operated by someone else, just focussing on the broadcast mix, in a room isolated from the live event, but just getting a separate mix would be a biig step forward.

Mac

Taylor Phillips:

--- Quote from: Doug Lowthian on January 30, 2024, 07:38:32 PM ---We meet in a shared space on a college campus. Venue has a house sound system with a 16 channel mixer on a rolling cart with 3 wireless mics hooked to an amp/EQ and speaker system.

I set up each service by running an output from the house mixer to a Focusrite Scarlett USB audio interface then to my laptop and out to Zoom for live streaming. I also have two cameras to an ATEM Mini to my laptop for video. I monitor the sound with closed back headphones at the Focusrite.

QUESTION:
Can I replace the Focusrite with a Behringer Xenyx 8 channel USB mixer? I propose running the House mix from the House mixer, as well as mics for the piano or other instruments that do not require in house amplification into the Xenyx so I can control and hopefully improve the sound for the livestream.

--- End quote ---
Definitely makes sense.  Not sure if its worth getting a whole another mixer unless you're able to split all the channels and mix from an isolated location, though.  Depending on the mixer you have, you could use an aux send for the broadcast and send that to your interface instead of duplicating the house mix and adding a couple things.  If you don't have available aux on the current mixer, what you suggest is still a decent place to start.  Anyway, I think the Focusrite is already redundant since you have the ATEM Mini.  The ATEM has two dedicated audio inputs, so it's not just for audio from the cameras.  We use an ATEM Mini at my church as our audio interface plus camera switcher/video interface.

Brian Jojade:
If you're going separate mixer route, I might even take it a step further and just do a full split and have a completely separate mix.

As you are experiencing, the mix needed for live is very different than what is needed for broadcast.  Having a separate operator handle the broadcast mix is the ultimate best solution.  I wouldn't even bring in the 'mix' that's live.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version