Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > The Basement

Box truck loading

(1/1)

Stephen Swaffer:
This may seem silly to some of you-but I am looking at a box truck of lease from Penske.  Can these trucks be loaded with a forklift-will their floors support one safely?

Bob Stone:
Without exact model and config there's no way to know...

brian maddox:

--- Quote from: Stephen Swaffer on January 29, 2024, 08:23:30 AM ---This may seem silly to some of you-but I am looking at a box truck of lease from Penske.  Can these trucks be loaded with a forklift-will their floors support one safely?

--- End quote ---

Most non-cdl box trucks will not support the weight of a fork lift. It's less about the floor and more about what happens when you drive the fork off the dock onto the truck and the leverage of the location of the rear wheels along with the softer suspension conspire to drop the truck enough to trap the fork in the truck. Also, most forks won't actually FIT into a box truck as they are too tall with the roll cage.

I have a long story where I learned both of these things the hard way that I won't bore anyone with.

The "Standard" way to load a box truck with a fork is with a pallet jack in the truck. Or all the gear you're loading is already on wheels.

I would ask Penske directly if the truck you want to lease would be an exception to this. But I doubt it.

Craig Hauber:

--- Quote from: Stephen Swaffer on January 29, 2024, 08:23:30 AM ---This may seem silly to some of you-but I am looking at a box truck of lease from Penske.  Can these trucks be loaded with a forklift-will their floors support one safely?

--- End quote ---
Depends on the truck and the forklift.
Saw a tandem axle IH that could once -it's what the forklift came delivered in. 
Also seen tiny forklifts -essentially a motorized stand-on ride-along pallet jack
Also seen tracked Dingos being used but with lighter weight cargo than production gear.  But a much lighter machine with the lowest floor pressure points (propane powered)
However never seen more than pallet jacks used in a single axle box trucks.  And often they can't negotiate the dock interface because they never seem to be the right height.   Even with the dock leveler ramp they can get high-centered.

I've always seen the forklift place the pallet on the end of the truck than an on-truck pallet jack used to maneuver it up to the front of the box.
-of course this is with conventional cargo, PA gear always seems to fill the truck to the point where the pallet jack is in the way -and is useless anyways due to proper case wheels

Stephen Swaffer:
Thanks for the responses-as always good points to consider.  Penske claims the truck I am looking at will handle a forklift to load, not transport-and the forklifts that would be used are short enough to easily fit in this truck.  Ultimately, this is for my day job, not sound but I figured this group had some experience I could tap!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version