ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Older pa vs. Newer pa  (Read 2571 times)

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
Re: Older pa vs. Newer pa
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2024, 02:51:25 PM »

The biggest impediment to good sound is the operator and/or the source.

Exactly.  A good operator with a good source can generally make most speaker systems sound pretty darned good.  Of course, you'll always have the limitations of maximum output, but a good operator would know how much a system can be pushed to stay in good sounding range.
Brian Jojade

Alex Gribatsch

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2024, 03:19:55 PM »

Some great advice.  I appreciate all the imput. I run from my mixer to a bss equalizer then to a dbx crossover.
The peavey are driven by a crest cc5500. 4 Yorkville ls1208 subs for the low end driven by qsc plx3602 amps bridged..
2 per amp. That's my setup.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2024, 10:53:51 PM »

4 Yorkville ls1208 subs for the low end driven by qsc plx3602 amps bridged..
2 per amp.

Fringe comment; I've used those subs multiple times in the past, and really liked them for the era and cost.  Try running them in 8 ohm stereo rather than 2 ohm (4 ohm bridged).  You'll likely only give up about 1 dB, but gain better 'tighter' sound. 

Old speakers and sound quality - old drivers, even if they are still mostly working, tend to sound  mushy to me.  This isn't something that can be EQed out, nor does it show up on an RTA or Smaart, but it is real.  If they are making money, and repair will make a good deal more money than replace - that's the route.  If not, or if it's close - I would still go with newer/better. 

If I'm with a band, and company A has 20 year old Peavey speakers, while company B has nearly new JBL/RCF/EV/etc - even though I'm not a Peavey hater, I'd almost certainly go with B.  The LS1208s might tip the scales, but that would be to hear those subs again for nostalgia and put up with the speakers!
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2024, 01:39:26 PM »

Fringe comment; I've used those subs multiple times in the past, and really liked them for the era and cost.  Try running them in 8 ohm stereo rather than 2 ohm (4 ohm bridged).  You'll likely only give up about 1 dB, but gain better 'tighter' sound. 

Old speakers and sound quality - old drivers, even if they are still mostly working, tend to sound  mushy to me.  This isn't something that can be EQed out, nor does it show up on an RTA or Smaart, but it is real.  If they are making money, and repair will make a good deal more money than replace - that's the route.  If not, or if it's close - I would still go with newer/better. 

If I'm with a band, and company A has 20 year old Peavey speakers, while company B has nearly new JBL/RCF/EV/etc - even though I'm not a Peavey hater, I'd almost certainly go with B.  The LS1208s might tip the scales, but that would be to hear those subs again for nostalgia and put up with the speakers!

If in a competitive market, the bold text is classic business school.  And customers have this 'thing' for new/bright/shiny objects.  Years ago I lost an account to a new firm with new hardware, zero track record.  When the client was disappointed they went to the next shiny object purveyor, and when those folks failed, came back to my shop which now had its own new/bright/shiny objects.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2024, 08:42:56 AM »

If in a competitive market, the bold text is classic business school.  And customers have this 'thing' for new/bright/shiny objects.  Years ago I lost an account to a new firm with new hardware, zero track record.  When the client was disappointed they went to the next shiny object purveyor, and when those folks failed, came back to my shop which now had its own new/bright/shiny objects.

I hope you still had the old/worn objects in the back of the warehouse to drag out for their jobs just to make the point...  ;)

Alex Gribatsch

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2024, 04:38:27 PM »

I hope you still had the old/worn objects in the back of the warehouse to drag out for their jobs just to make the point...  ;)
indeed. To be honest I'm rather interested in bassboss 
GO BIG!..

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2024, 01:01:37 PM »

Old speakers and sound quality - old drivers, even if they are still mostly working, tend to sound  mushy to me.  This isn't something that can be EQed out, nor does it show up on an RTA or Smaart, but it is real.

Sounds like cones going soft from moisture absorption. Harmonic distortion curves might show it, but only if you've got a known "good" to compare to.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2024, 05:26:01 PM »

Sounds like cones going soft from moisture absorption. Harmonic distortion curves might show it, but only if you've got a known "good" to compare to.

Chris

Yeah, how products are cared for and maintained certainly can make a difference.  Old equipment in GOOD condition is capable of quality sound.  If the drivers are damaged, re-coning them will make them sound like new again.
Brian Jojade

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2024, 05:26:01 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.