Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > AC Power and Grounding

Connected ground required for all lighting fixtures?

<< < (8/8)

Russell Ault:

--- Quote from: Stephen Swaffer on February 19, 2024, 01:00:55 PM ---I came across this while browsing at a thrift store-didn't know this existed.  The only purpose I can fathom is to allow the device to use a standard off the shelf replacement IEC while saving a few pennies during manufacturing?

--- End quote ---

Strangely, that connector is part of the IEC standard, it's just a C17 connector instead of the (much) more common three-pin C13 variant. The C17 is functionally very similar to the C7 (i.e. figure-8) connector, but with four times the current-handling capacity and polarization. There's even a two-prong version of the 16A C19 connector in the form of the C23 connector (which I would guess is even rarer than the C17 IRL).

-Russ

Geoff Doane:

--- Quote from: Stephen Swaffer on February 19, 2024, 01:00:55 PM ---I came across this while browsing at a thrift store-didn't know this existed.  The only purpose I can fathom is to allow the device to use a standard off the shelf replacement IEC while saving a few pennies during manufacturing?

--- End quote ---

Mackie Big Knobs and older Sennheiser wireless receivers used these cords.  As Brian observed, you might as well ditch them and use a regular C13 cordset, rather than have something non-standard in the inventory.

GTD

Daniel Levi:
I suppose it's to identify that the appliance has no earth connection for testing/compliance purposes, XBOX 360 PSU's used one. Some primarily Japanese stuff used a rectangular two pin connector, some Yamaha stuff, Roland D50 and JD800 Etc. 

Russell Ault:

--- Quote from: Daniel Levi on February 22, 2024, 12:57:05 PM ---{...} Some primarily Japanese stuff used a rectangular two pin connector, some Yamaha stuff, Roland D50 and JD800 Etc.

--- End quote ---

That's the C9 connector, which sits somewhere between the C17 (at 10A) and C7 (at 2.5A); it's also non-polarized (like the C7, but unlike the C17).

-Russ

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version