ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Connected ground required for all lighting fixtures?  (Read 4497 times)

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
Re: Connected ground required for all lighting fixtures?
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2024, 06:32:45 PM »

The power in and out on those lights make it a bit awkward to daisy chain on a truss, for sure.  What I've done is simply velcro the power and DMX in and out into a single bundle that then goes up to the truss.

If building your own permanent cable whip, I'd go the extra effort of a DMX splitter and IEC for each light so you only have to deal with the input side of things.

Building your own IEC cables sounds like fun, but my experience has been less than stellar. Maybe the connectors I have aren't the best, but they are a lot bulkier than a molded IEC and the screw points tend to work lose.  I abandoned using my own IEC ends.  Now I just lop off an IEC cord and tie them together in the truss tube and call it a day.
Brian Jojade

David Allred

« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2024, 11:36:11 AM »

The power in and out on those lights make it a bit awkward to daisy chain on a truss, for sure.  What I've done is simply velcro the power and DMX in and out into a single bundle that then goes up to the truss.

If building your own permanent cable whip, I'd go the extra effort of a DMX splitter and IEC for each light so you only have to deal with the input side of things.

Building your own IEC cables sounds like fun, but my experience has been less than stellar. Maybe the connectors I have aren't the best, but they are a lot bulkier than a molded IEC and the screw points tend to work lose.  I abandoned using my own IEC ends.  Now I just lop off an IEC cord and tie them together in the truss tube and call it a day.

I will do something like the image below.  Making a DMX passthrough / daisy chain as well.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 11:39:13 AM by David Allred »

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2024, 12:51:06 PM »

I will do something like the image below.  Making a DMX passthrough / daisy chain as well.

What you're showing is a "Daisy Chain" layout, what Brian is talking about is a "Breakout Box" or Distribution Hub which is the best way to go, -vs- a bulky harness.  I'd probably just buy an IEC splitter box and be done with it.  Then get cables of appropriate length to suit your needs.

You could also go this route, which is legal and would work fine.  I use these Edison to 4-Way IEC splitters to charge uplights.

Edison to IEC Splitter Cable

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2024, 01:00:55 PM »

I came across this while browsing at a thrift store-didn't know this existed.  The only purpose I can fathom is to allow the device to use a standard off the shelf replacement IEC while saving a few pennies during manufacturing?
Steve Swaffer

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2024, 02:36:53 PM »

I came across this while browsing at a thrift store-didn't know this existed.  The only purpose I can fathom is to allow the device to use a standard off the shelf replacement IEC while saving a few pennies during manufacturing?

Yup, a few pennies times a million devices eventually adds up.  I absolutely HATE those cords.  Whenever I run across one, I end up swearing several times as I sacrifice it to the cable gods. They just tease you and pretend to let you know you have an IEC in your bag but won't work when you need it.
Brian Jojade

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2024, 05:45:11 PM »

Strangely, that connector is part of the IEC standard, it's just a C17 connector instead of the (much) more common three-pin C13 variant. The C17 is functionally very similar to the C7 (i.e. figure-8) connector, but with four times the current-handling capacity and polarization. There's even a two-prong version of the 16A C19 connector in the form of the C23 connector (which I would guess is even rarer than the C17 IRL).

-Russ

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2024, 09:35:13 AM »

Mackie Big Knobs and older Sennheiser wireless receivers used these cords.  As Brian observed, you might as well ditch them and use a regular C13 cordset, rather than have something non-standard in the inventory.

GTD

Daniel Levi

« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2024, 12:57:05 PM »

I suppose it's to identify that the appliance has no earth connection for testing/compliance purposes, XBOX 360 PSU's used one. Some primarily Japanese stuff used a rectangular two pin connector, some Yamaha stuff, Roland D50 and JD800 Etc. 

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2024, 04:31:03 PM »

{...} Some primarily Japanese stuff used a rectangular two pin connector, some Yamaha stuff, Roland D50 and JD800 Etc.

That's the C9 connector, which sits somewhere between the C17 (at 10A) and C7 (at 2.5A); it's also non-polarized (like the C7, but unlike the C17).

-Russ

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2024, 04:31:03 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 24 queries.