Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > AC Power and Grounding

Connected ground required for all lighting fixtures?

(1/8) > >>

David Allred:
The fixtures are ADJ Mega Hex Par x4 on a T-bar.  These have a plastic housing and use IEC power inlets.  The supplied power cables are bulky and stiff.  I what to clean up the current routing scheme and use SJ cable for the tie-in drops along the bar to allow more flexibility.  For increased flexibility and reduction in build time I would like to use 2 conductor SJ.  Is there an actual reason to need the ground for these fixtures?
Electrical Danger?
DMX malfunction?

Thanks,
David

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: David Allred on January 10, 2024, 09:19:00 AM ---The fixtures are ADJ Mega Hex Par x4 on a T-bar.  These have a plastic housing and use IEC power inlets.  The supplied power cables are bulky and stiff.  I what to clean up the current routing scheme and use SJ cable for the tie-in drops along the bar to allow more flexibility.  For increased flexibility and reduction in build time I would like to use 2 conductor SJ.  Is there an actual reason to need the ground for these fixtures?
Electrical Danger?
DMX malfunction?

Thanks,
David

--- End quote ---

If equipped with an equipment grounding connection, then use a grounded 3 conductor cable.  I'm not sure any of us are willing to speculate in an open forum.

Daniel Levi:
If it has a 3 prong inlet connetor then you use 3 core cable to a proper 3 prong/earthed connectors, no iffs or buts, though if you could guarntee the lack of a earth (it could be a technical earth for RFI supression) and change the connetors to a two prong version you could then use two conductor cable, but it would not really be worth it.

Brian Jojade:
Will it work with 2 conductor cable? Yes.  Is it a good idea to ignore ground? Nope.

Ground conductors are there for unexpected failures.  While the risk is small, failures can result in DEATH.  Is it worth saving a couple mm of cable for that risk??

Stephen Swaffer:
At my day job, one of the first questions asked when discussing a safety question is "What does the manufacturer say?"  In this case, "they" said it needed a ground and put a 3 wire cord on it-so that has to be the answer, for liability reasons if nothing else.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version