Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > The Basement

What in Tar-nation is this?

<< < (3/3)

Jonathan Johnson:

--- Quote from: Riley Casey on January 10, 2024, 05:53:32 PM ---...English is more of a lingua franca...

--- End quote ---

A Latin phrase meaning "French language" used to describe English... oh, the irony.

Dave Garoutte:

--- Quote from: Jonathan Johnson on January 30, 2024, 05:02:02 PM ---A Latin phrase meaning "French language" used to describe English... oh, the irony.

--- End quote ---
  Before the rise of the US, French was the international language, hence the term, but it carried over to english.

Chris Hindle:

--- Quote from: Landon Lewsaw on January 10, 2024, 08:47:56 PM ---I watched a reality show on Nat Geo about heavy tow truck operators in Norway (a former profession of mine).  What was fascinating was that trucks would come to Norway from all over the EU, get stuck in the mountains, and the common language with the Norwegian tow operators was always English.  Without fail, they all had enough English to get by.

--- End quote ---

How many Kilos?  You have tow pins?  Where are your chains? "Brakes ON"  "Brakes OFF"  "How many euros?  Should be a pretty easy conversation..... :o   Retired 50 and 75-ton straight stick here...
Chris.

Landon Lewsaw:

--- Quote from: Chris Hindle on January 30, 2024, 08:25:54 PM ---How many Kilos?  You have tow pins?  Where are your chains? "Brakes ON"  "Brakes OFF"  "How many euros?  Should be a pretty easy conversation..... :o   Retired 50 and 75-ton straight stick here...
Chris.

--- End quote ---

Yeah that's right Chris.  The money that was about to change hands was the first topic of broken conversation, everything else was far less important.  Great show if you can find it, fascinating how differently they operate over there.  I drove a 30 ton4 axle tilt deck...

Helge A Bentsen:
I do hope they record some episodes this week.
Right now Norway is divided into 3 separate entities, all the major mountain crossings except one is closed due to the weather.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version