ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Harmonics when ringing out  (Read 3145 times)

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
Re: Harmonics when ringing out
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2024, 01:21:21 AM »

That makes sense, there are some analogous process in the civilian world with high end routers.  Especially upgrading the not for export cipher engines. 

Upgrading the PFD/MFD in the civilian aircraft, and the GPS database is a walk in the park.  Usually the code is at the front of the DB pack.

Yep, not taking anything away but civilian is only com/nav, vehicle systems to include environmental, fuel and propulsion and FLCS.  No mission system, stores management, threat warning and jamming, fire control. gun, egress, target handoff, laser targeting, advanced sensors, blah blah blah.  :)

I would venture to guess most of the civilian systems load from a Mil Std 1553 bus, which the fighters also use for displays and a few other areas in vehicle systems.  The 1553 stuff loads pretty well.  The tricky stuff is where we use bus monitor/controllers connected into the racks and start pulling modules out to flash on an Alpha VAX workstation.

Consider this, the avionics processing on today's jets are dual redundant and of course handshake.  Can't change everything at once, that's where things get tricky.

Nuff of that - keep in mind S=VF2.  Toe Jam Man can mix and the Pain Train can run an avionics field team.  :)

Tried to send you a PM, not sure if it went or not.

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2024, 03:52:04 PM »

. dual redundant

That expression seems (ahem) redundant.

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2024, 08:02:06 AM »

That expression seems (ahem) redundant.

Not if Steve was making the distinction between primary + backup = redundant vs primary +2x backup = dual redundant.

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2024, 08:31:20 AM »

Not if Steve was making the distinction between primary + backup = redundant vs primary +2x backup = dual redundant.

So for us math-challenged...there are 3 complete systems/ Or 4?

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2024, 02:08:59 PM »

I can't speak for David, but let me take a swing at explaining with an example:

The network switches in my FOH Rack have input for two separate DC power supplies.  The feed going to each of these power inputs actually comes from two DC power supplies in parallel (designed for this purpose), sized so that either supply can provide enough amperage for the entire load in case one of the two fails.  The network switch is then said to have a dual, redundant power supply.  That makes 4 power bricks in total.

Hope that helps!

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2024, 10:01:27 PM »

In the military avionics world for weapon systems dual-redundant = 2, triple-redundant = 3, quad-redundant = 4.  First time I was introduced to the terminology and concept was in the flight control system for the F-16 and the sidestick controller which is considered quad-redundant.  The FLCS on the F-16 being the first fly by wire aircraft was designed quad-redundant, I believe subsequent aircraft are now triple-redundant as review of fault data on the F-16 showed the system to be very reliable.

The way we treat the term redundant could be an industry vernacular - I honestly don't know.  Math challenged?  Hell yes, I'm just a project engineer and have been referred to as "Nothing but a bunch of clipboard holders"  :).  That was by a now retired M&P (Material and Process) engineering manager.  Do I care?  Not really, after 34 years of annual merit increases it's not really an issue what I get called anymore, it's about the direct deposit every Friday morning. 

Use of Redundant Terminology F-16/

This little swerve courtesy of the "Toe Jam Man" and the "Pain Train".  The Pain Train liked his name.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2024, 10:05:43 PM by Steve-White »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2024, 10:01:27 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 20 queries.