ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Harmonics when ringing out  (Read 3142 times)

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: Harmonics when ringing out
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2024, 02:12:15 PM »

Hmm,  I never knew the speed of sound was related to the volume.  That explains everything! ::)
Maybe if all the wiggling back and forth heats up the air molecules?

But that is a stretch.  ;)

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2024, 02:14:59 PM »

JR

If you're stretching molecules, I want to watch. 8)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2024, 03:39:36 PM »

If you're stretching molecules, I want to watch. 8)

An important part of hamstring theory.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2024, 07:29:11 PM »

An important part of hamstring theory.
I'll bring the string cheese theory and we can set up in catering... ;)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2024, 10:36:34 PM »

Hmm,  I never knew the speed of sound was related to the volume.  That explains everything! ::)

It certainly does explain everything.

I had a guy in a local speaker repair shop "explain" how he sets up monitors with 12's & about 8" long horns for bi-amping.  He explained that the manuals said to compensate for the 12" driver being at the baffle, while the horn driver was back yonder and that he didn't delay the 12" because the higher frequencies coming out of the horn were "faster" and everything would thus balance itself out.

Anyway you look at it, genius is genius...

Let S=Speed, V=Volume & F=Frequency,  therefore S=VF2, which happens to mirror the equation E=MC2 - there's a reason for that.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2024, 11:59:32 PM »

JR

John, I worked with a sound guy, who had a decent ear and put together a pleasing mix, who believed that high frequencies traveled faster than low frequencies.  I never even bothered to debate it.  He didn't know which way was up on a computer and was beyond fascinated that I could hand him his deployment info and it actually matched the coverage.  It was like we had control over some kind of voodoo.  He was an interesting guy.  He wore sandals in the winter and had a foot hygiene issue such that he earned the nickname "toe jam man".  This is an interesting biz. 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2024, 12:39:40 AM »

John, I worked with a sound guy, who had a decent ear and put together a pleasing mix, who believed that high frequencies traveled faster than low frequencies.  I never even bothered to debate it.  He didn't know which way was up on a computer and was beyond fascinated that I could hand him his deployment info and it actually matched the coverage.  It was like we had control over some kind of voodoo.  He was an interesting guy.  He wore sandals in the winter and had a foot hygiene issue such that he earned the nickname "toe jam man".  This is an interesting biz.

20 years ago I worked with a Mod & Retrofit guy that could do avionics firmware (embedded software) upgrades on the F-22's and didn't know jack squat about computers.  Full avionics suite upgrades that took ~5 days with a team on it, including a software configuration management (SCM) engineer.  Stuttered a lot and got wound up pretty easily.  He didn't even understand the difference in how the aircraft booted up, from the onboard memory area or a removable device.  For the upgrades we'd boot it from the removable device to load files.

He did it and many times successfully.  Team lead he was.  I think he simply thought he could do it, so he did it.  :)

We used to call him the "Pain Train".
« Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 12:43:09 AM by Steve-White »

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2024, 12:42:15 AM »

20 years ago I worked with a Mod & Retrofit guy that could do avionics firmware (embedded software) upgrades on the F-22's and didn't know jack squat about computers.  Stuttered a lot and got wound up pretty easily.  He didn't even understand the difference in how the aircraft even booted up, from the onboard memory area or a removable device.  For the upgrades we'd boot it from the removable device to load files.

He did it and many times successfully.  Team lead he was.  I think he simply thought he could do it, so he did it.  :)

We used to call him the "Pain Train".

Amazing isn't it.  I would think the process is pretty baked for an F22 so it's a matter of following the steps exactly? 

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2024, 12:53:38 AM »

Amazing isn't it.  I would think the process is pretty baked for an F22 so it's a matter of following the steps exactly?

Somewhat.  Today's fighters are filled with self-test diagnostics call "Built In Test" or BIT checks.  During the transition from one major release platform to the next takes several days and reboot iterations.  The newer code is never backward compatible with the old code and of course the old code isn't forward compatible with the new code.

So, you boot the aircraft from a removable device with the new code and systematically load systems that during the process no longer recognize one another in a very advanced integrated avionics suite.  If there's a hiccup anywhere, and the BIT has gone bonkers as it does, it makes for some head scratching.  But yeah, in general things started going pretty well around late 2005 when they declared IOC (Initial Operational Capability) at Langley.  Some of the "Specially Encrypted" stuff can get a little cantankerous at times.  Handling it is always fun.

There really aren't "steps" for doing it, there are mod workbooks - but for the most part it's experts and experience gettin' it done.

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2024, 01:00:32 AM »

Somewhat.  Today's fighters are filled with self-test diagnostics call "Built In Test" or BIT checks.  During the transition from one major release platform to the next takes several days and reboot iterations.  The newer code is never backward compatible with the old code and of course the old code isn't forward compatible with the new code.

So, you boot the aircraft from a removable device with the new code and systematically load systems that during the process no longer recognize one another in a very advanced integrated avionics suite.  If there's a hiccup anywhere, and the BIT has gone bonkers as it does, it makes for some head scratching.  But yeah, in general things started going pretty well around late 2005 when they declared IOC (Initial Operational Capability) at Langley.  Some of the "Specially Encrypted" stuff can get a little cantankerous at times.  Handling it is always fun.

There really aren't "steps" for doing it, there are mod workbooks - but for the most part it's experts and experience gettin' it done.

That makes sense, there are some analogous process in the civilian world with high end routers.  Especially upgrading the not for export cipher engines. 

Upgrading the PFD/MFD in the civilian aircraft, and the GPS database is a walk in the park.  Usually the code is at the front of the DB pack.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2024, 01:00:32 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.