Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Subwoofer Forum

EV MTL 4 question.

<< < (2/3) > >>

Scott Holtzman:

--- Quote from: Ivan Beaver on December 31, 2023, 05:25:45 PM ---This is another audio myth.

"Turning down the gain reduces the power output of the amp".  WRONG

Unless you exceed the voltage rails of the input stage, you can turn the amp down to "1" and it will still be able to deliver full power to the loudspeaker.  It will just take a larger input signal to do so.

Limiters can be tricky to set up, depending on how many and what type you have to work with.

They are also like air bags in a car.  they can help protect against certain things, but driving it over a cliff don't expect them to protect you.  Responsible operation is the best protection.

If you don't have responsible operation, then BE SURE to set the limiters LOWER than what might be "normal".

For a single stage limiter, I suggest setting it between 1/4 continuous (not program) power (half voltage) or at the continuous rating.

It depends on the speed of the attack. If it is "automatic", then it is usually tied to the high pass filter time.

--- End quote ---

800 is going to limit your peaks and constrain your output.  I wish I knew the tech side to tell you exactly what to do.  My gut tells me unless you are crazy that amp is sized right fir the MTL's.  Let is breath.

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: Scott Holtzman on December 31, 2023, 11:56:51 PM ---
800 is going to limit your peaks and constrain your output.  I wish I knew the tech side to tell you exactly what to do.  My gut tells me unless you are crazy that amp is sized right fir the MTL's.  Let is breath.

--- End quote ---

That's the idea, Scott.  Have you owned or maintained the MTL-4?  They're stuffed with 4-18" woofers that have a continuous heat dissipation of about 200W each and an xMax of about 8-10mm.

Scott Holtzman:

--- Quote from: Tim McCulloch on January 01, 2024, 12:51:05 PM ---That's the idea, Scott.  Have you owned or maintained the MTL-4?  They're stuffed with 4-18" woofers that have a continuous heat dissipation of about 200W each and an xMax of about 8-10mm.

--- End quote ---

Yes we have two of each I would love to get out of the warehouse.  Originally had two top boxes and four subs a side but the six subs flew the coup.  I believe the other two tops are somewhere in the warehouse.

Tim Hite:

--- Quote from: Scott Holtzman on December 22, 2023, 01:06:11 AM ---
The simple answer is 56.6 voltage=current*resistance

It's ohms law.  Learn the formula and you can always answer these questions.

The problem with the simple answer is it will not get the most out of your speaker.  You have to consider the crest factor of your music and the speakers ability to handle transients.  Then you can set a voltage limiter.  Do the XTi's have a voltage limiter?

Much of this comes from having experience and blowing a few drivers along the way.  A good education isn't cheap.

Are you interested in 4 fully loaded and refurbed subs to go with them?

--- End quote ---

Where are you getting the current figure here and what it it? 7.075A is what I'm showing working backwards, but where is that coming from?

Chris Hindle:

--- Quote from: Tim McCulloch on January 01, 2024, 12:51:05 PM ---That's the idea, Scott.  Have you owned or maintained the MTL-4?  They're stuffed with 4-18" woofers that have a continuous heat dissipation of about 200W each and an xMax of about 8-10mm.

--- End quote ---

Back in the day, I seem to remember using QSC EX-4000. Driven in stereo to each box. 2 x 4 ohm loads. Good solid sound, and never tore up a driver. At the time, "we" had 8 blocks (8 tops, 8 bottoms). Another local shop had 8 more so we could each double up when needed.
Chris.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version