ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: EV MTL 4 question.  (Read 2832 times)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: EV MTL 4 question.
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2024, 08:20:36 AM »

800 is going to limit your peaks and constrain your output.  I wish I knew the tech side to tell you exactly what to do.  My gut tells me unless you are crazy that amp is sized right fir the MTL's.  Let is breath.
It all comes down to how responsible the operator is.

and simply don't care about the sound.

Sure the system could "breath" a little more if the limiters were looser-AT LEAST until the drivers cooked.

That is the problem with a single stage limiter, it does not address the peaks or the thermal loads.

I am a HUGE fan of multistage limiters-when set properly.

A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2024, 12:38:17 PM »

It's one of the reasons I went with my Powersoft amps (other amps are available etc etc) - the limiter settings are extensive.

Al, two options for you:

Two lots of processor settings: "safe" and "less-safe".
The former would be for DJs. Assume they'll be pushed hard into the red all night, and set for long-term power dissipation.
The latter would be for rock 'n' roll etc. More crest factor, less continuous high-level signals. Set for safety on short-term peaks.

A curveball is this: wire the cabinets for a single-8ohm load. You'll only need one amp, and it'll be pretty safe for the ~1KW/ch that the amp will put out.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2024, 04:36:54 PM »

It's one of the reasons I went with my Powersoft amps (other amps are available etc etc) - the limiter settings are extensive.

Al, two options for you:

Two lots of processor settings: "safe" and "less-safe".
The former would be for DJs. Assume they'll be pushed hard into the red all night, and set for long-term power dissipation.
The latter would be for rock 'n' roll etc. More crest factor, less continuous high-level signals. Set for safety on short-term peaks.

A curveball is this: wire the cabinets for a single-8ohm load. You'll only need one amp, and it'll be pretty safe for the ~1KW/ch that the amp will put out.

Chris
The powersofts have a very good limiter section-IF you understand what each section does and set them properly.  Just "setting limiters" to some random numbers is asking for trouble-in one way or another.  There needs to be deliberate setting done. 

One thing that many people forget is that the power rating of cabinets is for a SPECIFIC test signal (it rolls off the highs and the lows), for a SPECIFIC time, and a SPECIFIC ambient temp.

Change any one of those, and the power rating can go up or down.

Depending on the particular usage environment, it may be a good idea to derate the power rating, just to keep the drivers from burning up due to temp.  The temp typically just keeps going up and up as the show goes on.

It is far better to run the rig a couple of dB below "capacity", and have it working for the whole show and still working for the next gig, than to be "really good" for a little while, and then things tear up.

Nobody is going to leave because the level is a couple of dB below what it could be, but they WILL leave when the sound stops or starts sounding really bad.

What is most important to you and the customer?  I have never heard anybody say "Well it was good for a little while and then everybody wanted their money back". 
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2024, 10:10:50 AM »

Where are you getting the current figure here and what it it? 7.075A is what I'm showing working backwards, but where is that coming from?
This:

Volts = SQRT(speaker watts * ohms)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2024, 10:10:50 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 24 queries.