Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Installed Sound/Contracting

Enclosed wall rack for amps

(1/2) > >>

Jaspreet Singh:
I've been doing some research but can't find what I'm looking for.

I've exhausted all options and have to put 2 amps in a wall mounted rack. For our 70v system we have a Mid Atlantic EWR-8-17sd 8u rack. It's a great rack but it's a little expensive and it has a solid door. For this project I don't have a huge budget and have to stay under 200 for the rack and need something I can lock up but also need the door to be vented so the amps can breath.

Any suggestions?

I like the mid Atlantic I have now because it has 2 separate locks. I only give the front door key to the volunteers so they can turn it on and off and I have the back key for myself. Preferring something like that

Erik Jerde:

--- Quote from: Jaspreet Singh on December 12, 2023, 01:05:45 PM ---I've been doing some research but can't find what I'm looking for.

I've exhausted all options and have to put 2 amps in a wall mounted rack. For our 70v system we have a Mid Atlantic EWR-8-17sd 8u rack. It's a great rack but it's a little expensive and it has a solid door. For this project I don't have a huge budget and have to stay under 200 for the rack and need something I can lock up but also need the door to be vented so the amps can breath.

Any suggestions?

I like the mid Atlantic I have now because it has 2 separate locks. I only give the front door key to the volunteers so they can turn it on and off and I have the back key for myself. Preferring something like that

--- End quote ---

How many U do you need?  What depth for equipment?

Jaspreet Singh:

--- Quote from: Erik Jerde on December 12, 2023, 01:43:21 PM ---How many U do you need?  What depth for equipment?

--- End quote ---

8u, 18 inch or near that

dave briar:

--- Quote from: Jaspreet Singh on December 12, 2023, 01:49:21 PM ---8u, 18 inch or near that

--- End quote ---
We use one of these and have been quite happy with it.

Erik Jerde:

--- Quote from: Jaspreet Singh on December 12, 2023, 01:49:21 PM ---8u, 18 inch or near that

--- End quote ---

Network racks are going to get you closest but they're usually shallower and don't swing which makes doing cabling a real PITA with them.  What I'd be specing is something like the Middle Atlantic EWR-8-22 but that's way out of your price range.  Depending on the environment where it's being installed it also may not have enough venting - adding better venting costs more too.

Honestly, for $200 I think you're SOL.  You'd probably have a hard time building something that looks good and holds the load out of wood for that price.  Especially once you figure in the value of labor.  That's assuming you have all the necessary tools already too.  If you really must have a secure wall mounted rack then I think you're going to have to go back to whoever is paying for this and tell them that the budgeted amount for the rack was insufficient.  If that was you who did the planning & budgeting then you may need to be prepared to eat some crow.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version