Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Installed Sound/Contracting

What hardware to hang pipe from strut in a small space?

(1/1)

Tim Weaver:
I need to hang a 2" pipe for lighting from a piece of Unistrut (open side down, toward pipe) in a space where I need to keep it as tight to ceiling as possible so as to not block an LED screen.

What kind of hardware have you seen/used to accomplish something like this?

Stephen Swaffer:

--- Quote from: Tim Weaver on December 12, 2023, 12:30:17 PM ---I need to hang a 2" pipe for lighting from a piece of Unistrut (open side down, toward pipe) in a space where I need to keep it as tight to ceiling as possible so as to not block an LED screen.

--- End quote ---

Why not use a 2" 1 or 2 hole conduit strap with cone nuts?  Not sure how you would get any tighter?

Erik Jerde:

--- Quote from: Tim Weaver on December 12, 2023, 12:30:17 PM ---I need to hang a 2" pipe for lighting from a piece of Unistrut (open side down, toward pipe) in a space where I need to keep it as tight to ceiling as possible so as to not block an LED screen.

--- End quote ---

Standard pipe clamps will get your pipe as physically close to the strut channel as possible.  The problem you’re going to run into there is that you probably won’t find pipe clamps with ratings that can be used for rigging.  You also need to consider how much space you’re going to need for getting the light fixture clamps onto the pipe.  If you’re using standard 1 5/8 strut fastened flush to a surface then you’re going to need more than 1 5/8 space for your fixture clamp.

If I was looking to attach pipe to strut for rigging I’d first look at products from the light source.  They make strut adapters.  Strut adapter to mega coupler gets you a system with documented WLL that is built using hardware designed for suspending loads.

Tim Weaver:

--- Quote from: Erik Jerde on December 12, 2023, 01:39:33 PM ---Standard pipe clamps will get your pipe as physically close to the strut channel as possible.  The problem you’re going to run into there is that you probably won’t find pipe clamps with ratings that can be used for rigging.  You also need to consider how much space you’re going to need for getting the light fixture clamps onto the pipe.  If you’re using standard 1 5/8 strut fastened flush to a surface then you’re going to need more than 1 5/8 space for your fixture clamp.

If I was looking to attach pipe to strut for rigging I’d first look at products from the light source.  They make strut adapters.  Strut adapter to mega coupler gets you a system with documented WLL that is built using hardware designed for suspending loads.

--- End quote ---

Wow! I never knew the Light Source had so many products!

This looks like it will do what I need to do. Thanks!

https://www.thelightsource.com/products/uni-bolt-for-strut-channels-82

Caleb Dueck:

--- Quote from: Tim Weaver on December 12, 2023, 01:52:01 PM ---Wow! I never knew the Light Source had so many products!

This looks like it will do what I need to do. Thanks!

https://www.thelightsource.com/products/uni-bolt-for-strut-channels-82

--- End quote ---

Yes, those are the devices, and yes TLS has a lot of great products!

A few years back, I compared the price of standard 1.5" NPT and clamps, versus strut and connectors like the above.  The overall cost was roughly the same, so we would do one or the other based on how tight to the ceiling we needed the fixtures.  We had some projects where we flush mounted strut to get even tighter, above tile grid to get the lights flush, or semi-recessed to get them nearly invisible.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version