Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Lounge

Transmit Wireless Stereo Audio from Computer

<< < (8/9) > >>

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: Phil Lewandowski on December 20, 2023, 10:40:00 AM ---Ha! So my only guess in regards to this is random people figuring out how to put it into pairing mode and then connect to it? Or is there something else being missed??

(Actually, this is the exact reason I didn't want bluetooth in there in the first place and didn't even mention it in the OP. But as a short-term bandaid, it'll do.)

--- End quote ---

"Random people" as in "students."

I base (and bass) this on what happened at a local conference hotel.  The housemen (for those who don't know - they do the table/chair/stage grunt work) figured out how the in house AV company got non-microphone sound into the ceiling speakers (Rapco BLOX box).  Observant houseman bought one, and a short XLR cable.  Nobody could figure out why the 70v system had failing speakers...  While the transformers do act as an HPF, the level they drove the system at while setting up the ballroom took out the 8" speakers over the course of couple of months.  The original system designer could not have anticipated the kind of program material or levels attempted.  The hotel had to replace all the speakers and then forbade housemen from connecting to AV systems in the hotel.

Phil Lewandowski:

--- Quote from: Tim McCulloch on December 20, 2023, 11:09:09 AM ---"Random people" as in "students."

I base (and bass) this on what happened at a local conference hotel.  The housemen (for those who don't know - they do the table/chair/stage grunt work) figured out how the in house AV company got non-microphone sound into the ceiling speakers (Rapco BLOX box).  Observant houseman bought one, and a short XLR cable.  Nobody could figure out why the 70v system had failing speakers...  While the transformers do act as an HPF, the level they drove the system at while setting up the ballroom took out the 8" speakers over the course of couple of months.  The original system designer could not have anticipated the kind of program material or levels attempted.  The hotel had to replace all the speakers and then forbade housemen from connecting to AV systems in the hotel.

--- End quote ---

Makes complete sense and why I avoided bluetooth in the first place...

Don T. Williams:
A high school in my area wanted a new sound systems with NO controls.  They wanted it set once and never changed.  I used a Shure MPM series mixer and set it as they requested: two wireless mics, two wired mics, and Bluetooth for music.  The amp had no accessible controls.  The mics levels were set loud enough to be usable even with an excited crowd.  It was all locked inside a steel wall mounted rack.  Within weeks the students broke the locks off the rack - twice - trying to get in and crank the music up during unsupervised practices.  The students did not succeed in that goal.  There were no controls to "adjust".  Heavy hasps and large padlocks have deterred further attempts so far.  And, the system is mono by design.

Mike Caldwell:

--- Quote from: Don T. Williams on December 20, 2023, 06:39:52 PM ---A high school in my area wanted a new sound systems with NO controls.  They wanted it set once and never changed.  I used a Shure MPM series mixer and set it as they requested: two wireless mics, two wired mics, and Bluetooth for music.  The amp had no accessible controls.  The mics levels were set loud enough to be usable even with an excited crowd.  It was all locked inside a steel wall mounted rack.  Within weeks the students broke the locks off the rack - twice - trying to get in and crank the music up during unsupervised practices.  The students did not succeed in that goal.  There were no controls to "adjust".  Heavy hasps and large padlocks have deterred further attempts so far.  And, the system is mono by design.

--- End quote ---

Unfortunately many times new school builds are just the opposite and "designed" with way over complicated AV controls, options and too many knobs and buttons.

Scott Holtzman:

--- Quote from: Phil Lewandowski on December 20, 2023, 10:31:05 AM ---Wanted to report back in case anyone is ever searching on this topic in the future:

As an affordable "band-aid" solution, until I get a chance to run and dress some mic cables across the gym, I gave Klark-Teknik's AIR LINK DW 20BR bluetooth device a shot.
It has worked great so far. As long as the downsides of bluetooth aren't a dealbreaker in your use case (e.g., the slight audio delay, slightly degraded audio quality, distance limitations), I give it a thumbs up for less than mission-critical applications.

(As a bonus, the school band teacher is super pumped that he can easily connect via bluetooth to play back music during rehearsals!)

--- End quote ---
Phil I have to play devils advocate on this one.  Now that you gave them the capability they expect it.  Worse they expect it to work so if the RF environment morphs and it no longer is usable you are under the gun to maintain it.

You going to stop by the shop some time havenít seen you on a coons age.  In any event Merry Christmas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version