Church and H.O.W. Forums for HOW Sound and AV - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Church and HOW Forums > Church Sound

Spotify phone > PA wireless?

(1/3) > >>

Stephen Gregory:
Hi all, our pastor would like to be able to spontaneously grab their phone and play something on Spotify through the PA, specifically in prayer meetings or other smaller gatherings where there won't be a sound guy there to run the mixer (or even turn it on).

I thought maybe a Bluetooth receiver, since latency wouldn't matter. But dropouts would, and the range is 30 to 50 feet, so I'm reluctant to go that way.

I imagine that there are WiFi based options for this, but I just don't know what is reliable and affordable. Spotify connect would seem to be the easiest?

Any thoughts?

brian maddox:

--- Quote from: Stephen Gregory on November 27, 2023, 07:49:23 PM ---Hi all, our pastor would like to be able to spontaneously grab their phone and play something on Spotify through the PA, specifically in prayer meetings or other smaller gatherings where there won't be a sound guy there to run the mixer (or even turn it on).

I thought maybe a Bluetooth receiver, since latency wouldn't matter. But dropouts would, and the range is 30 to 50 feet, so I'm reluctant to go that way.

I imagine that there are WiFi based options for this, but I just don't know what is reliable and affordable. Spotify connect would seem to be the easiest?

Any thoughts?

--- End quote ---

I'll bypass the "Spotify in a public space conversation for now" and just address the tech.

I would do this with a computer that was signed into Spotify and routed at an appropriate level to the PA. Then so long as he's signed into the the same account, he can designate that computer as the playback device he wants his selection to play through.

I'll finish with I still think this is a terrible idea. But I worked in a church for 7 years full time so I know that "terrible ideas" are pretty much what the tech crew is forced to figure out on a weekly basis....

Stephen Gregory:
Thanks Brian. 

We have a computer appropriately connected - via the mixer naturally. We use that for playback during services, but I'm after a "one power switch" solution here, no tech crew in sight (6am sessions, anyone?).

Has anyone tried Bluetooth 5? It is supposed to drastically increase range and stability over older versions, so maybe it's worth a shot. Or maybe that's a terrible technical solution to what was a terrible idea :-)

I just can't find Spotify connect devices that do what I want at a sensible price - it's targeted at audiophiles. I figure DLNA is already obsolete, so not a great option.

So this is what I'm thinking at the moment.

Brian Jojade:
Bluetooth devices work - until they don't.

Funny thing is that even though bluetooth is WAY more complicated than plugging in a wire into the phone, people somehow are more apt to fiddle with it until it works.  They're flat out SCARED of wires these days!!

Now, what device you need to connect to the phone DOES matter which phone you have.  Getting a bluetooth 5 receiver doesn't do you squat if the phone doesn't have that tech in it.

If you're dealing with an iPhone and want to go WIFI, pick up an Airport Express. (long since discontinued, but still work great, as long as it's the N version) Airplay is pretty easy to use and you can hardwire the airport express into your network, using your existing WIFI infrastructure.

John Schalk:
How many people attend these extra-curricular sessions?  In other words, do you really need the phone's audio going through the main PA?  Rechargeable "boom boxes" with Bluetooth can get pretty loud, and some of them even sound pretty good.  How about just providing your worship leader with a piece of tech that just about anyone can use?  You can even go the Pro route with options such as the EV Everse 8 or the Bose S1 which have mic inputs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version