ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spotify phone > PA wireless?  (Read 3531 times)

Stephen Gregory

Spotify phone > PA wireless?
« on: November 27, 2023, 07:49:23 PM »

Hi all, our pastor would like to be able to spontaneously grab their phone and play something on Spotify through the PA, specifically in prayer meetings or other smaller gatherings where there won't be a sound guy there to run the mixer (or even turn it on).

I thought maybe a Bluetooth receiver, since latency wouldn't matter. But dropouts would, and the range is 30 to 50 feet, so I'm reluctant to go that way.

I imagine that there are WiFi based options for this, but I just don't know what is reliable and affordable. Spotify connect would seem to be the easiest?

Any thoughts?

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Re: Spotify phone > PA wireless?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2023, 08:52:32 PM »

Hi all, our pastor would like to be able to spontaneously grab their phone and play something on Spotify through the PA, specifically in prayer meetings or other smaller gatherings where there won't be a sound guy there to run the mixer (or even turn it on).

I thought maybe a Bluetooth receiver, since latency wouldn't matter. But dropouts would, and the range is 30 to 50 feet, so I'm reluctant to go that way.

I imagine that there are WiFi based options for this, but I just don't know what is reliable and affordable. Spotify connect would seem to be the easiest?

Any thoughts?

I'll bypass the "Spotify in a public space conversation for now" and just address the tech.

I would do this with a computer that was signed into Spotify and routed at an appropriate level to the PA. Then so long as he's signed into the the same account, he can designate that computer as the playback device he wants his selection to play through.

I'll finish with I still think this is a terrible idea. But I worked in a church for 7 years full time so I know that "terrible ideas" are pretty much what the tech crew is forced to figure out on a weekly basis....
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Stephen Gregory

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2023, 10:46:48 PM »

Thanks Brian. 

We have a computer appropriately connected - via the mixer naturally. We use that for playback during services, but I'm after a "one power switch" solution here, no tech crew in sight (6am sessions, anyone?).

Has anyone tried Bluetooth 5? It is supposed to drastically increase range and stability over older versions, so maybe it's worth a shot. Or maybe that's a terrible technical solution to what was a terrible idea :-)

I just can't find Spotify connect devices that do what I want at a sensible price - it's targeted at audiophiles. I figure DLNA is already obsolete, so not a great option.

So this is what I'm thinking at the moment.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2023, 11:25:52 PM »

Bluetooth devices work - until they don't.

Funny thing is that even though bluetooth is WAY more complicated than plugging in a wire into the phone, people somehow are more apt to fiddle with it until it works.  They're flat out SCARED of wires these days!!

Now, what device you need to connect to the phone DOES matter which phone you have.  Getting a bluetooth 5 receiver doesn't do you squat if the phone doesn't have that tech in it.

If you're dealing with an iPhone and want to go WIFI, pick up an Airport Express. (long since discontinued, but still work great, as long as it's the N version) Airplay is pretty easy to use and you can hardwire the airport express into your network, using your existing WIFI infrastructure.
Brian Jojade

John Schalk

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2023, 09:01:53 AM »

How many people attend these extra-curricular sessions?  In other words, do you really need the phone's audio going through the main PA?  Rechargeable "boom boxes" with Bluetooth can get pretty loud, and some of them even sound pretty good.  How about just providing your worship leader with a piece of tech that just about anyone can use?  You can even go the Pro route with options such as the EV Everse 8 or the Bose S1 which have mic inputs.

Stephen Gregory

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2023, 05:55:05 PM »

For better or worse, I do know what phone is going to be used, it's a recent model Samsung, so Bluetooth 5 is an option, but not AirPlay.

We did consider a handy boom box. I'm just such a snob, I can't stand them! When there's a really nice sub sitting 15' above you it seems criminal not to use it :-)

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2023, 08:04:41 PM »

Keep in mind many BT receivers produce beeps when a connection is dropped or it's searching for a connection.

For what it's worth the Klark Teknik / Behringer BT receiver has decent range and XLR outputs.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2023, 01:35:49 AM »

Keep in mind many BT receivers produce beeps when a connection is dropped or it's searching for a connection.

For what it's worth the Klark Teknik / Behringer BT receiver has decent range and XLR outputs.

That expensive PA should not be in the hands of amateurs.  Part of the cost of using it is having the correct staff.  I have the feeling I am super blessed with my church and I would be fired on day 2 from the average church? 

We have 5 campuses, distribute the main sermon over a VPN network to each location.  Every location has multiple video wall and the main church has slivers and panels on the drum/backup singer risers.  We have a full time department head of AV technology (and another IT also a new media).  The budget is zero base, one capital and one operational.  Once approved it is funded and the department head manages purchasing.  It's a great team to be a member of, we are equally passionate about our spiritual obligations.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2023, 01:43:09 PM »

What are you using for a mixer?  I understand Scott's concerns-but if you are going to use that sub you will have to use the sound system-no?  I have our system (using an SQ-7-so probably pricier than you use?) set up with a generic "church" login that I am comfortable with really any staff member using-they have to recall or normal setup and they all know how to turn walk in music (not Spotify :) ) up.  The digital mixer lets me be a little more lax with who gets to turn knobs.
Steve Swaffer

Matthias McCready

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2023, 04:40:14 PM »

For what it is worth:

Not for show use or critical listening, but for when I am dinking around in my venue I bought a little $20 bluetooth unit off of Amazon (sinful I know). I have been pleasantly surprised by the range which is several times what is advertised; granted the $20 unit does clip if the Bluetooth volume is up all the way (something a $30-40 unit tends not to do).

---

If you are handing off the keys to non-users, maybe set up a limited session, or alteast one where the output is limited on the sends to your PA, ie even if they have their device turned up and the fader pegged, it won't be driving anything too hard. :-)
Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2023, 01:15:25 PM »

How many people attend these extra-curricular sessions?  In other words, do you really need the phone's audio going through the main PA?  Rechargeable "boom boxes" with Bluetooth can get pretty loud, and some of them even sound pretty good.  How about just providing your worship leader with a piece of tech that just about anyone can use?  You can even go the Pro route with options such as the EV Everse 8 or the Bose S1 which have mic inputs.

+1 on the boombox and the reasoning behind it. I wouldn't even get something with a mic input: the potential for abuse increases once a microphone is plugged in (mic drops, feedback). I'd pick a reasonably-nice consumer-grade Bluetooth speaker and call it good.
Bonus points if it has a docking-station-style charging point. That doubles up as somewhere particular to store the speaker, as well as ensuring it's charged and ready-to-go.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2023, 01:48:54 PM »

Like I suggested in the other thread about wireless Audio... You'd do better to look at AirPlay instead of Bluetooth.
Runs over network or WiFi, dedicated hardware is available, stays connected, streams losslessly, doesn't really have all the limitations of Bluetooth and it's heavily supported by the biggest company in the world.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Stephen Gregory

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2023, 09:12:24 PM »

Thanks to everyone for their contributions.

I ended up using one of these.

It has plenty of range (>50') and has not given any glitches yet!  This is very much a "non-mission-critical" solution, but it is doing exactly what I need at the moment.

I may give it a try on a busy Sunday as well, just to see how it copes with a busier RF environment, but for the quiet prayer meetings, it is doing great. I guess Bluetooth 5 is real progress.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2023, 12:45:24 PM »

Bluetooth has been functional for quite some time.  The problem is, it still can easily get moody on you.

Oh, and it's VERY easy for a jokester to take out Bluetooth connections on devices. Someone with a flipper zero can flood a device with bluetooth pairing requests and you're dead in the water.  The protocol should never be relied on for production.
Brian Jojade

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2023, 01:06:09 PM »

Very simple condition - If they want music, bring in an engineer.  If not, don't.

I will not under any circumstances allow my staff to connect smart phones to any audio systems on events where I hold the contract - never ever.  That is expressly forbidden for reasons already listed and my personal preference.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2023, 01:09:33 PM by Steve-White »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2023, 01:06:09 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 24 queries.