Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Lighting Forum

Narrowing the beam angle of a LED wash

(1/1)

Rich Grisier:
I have a bunch of Blizzard Q12A Puck LED wash lights that I use for back lighting. They perform as designed meaning they spread light across the stage. I wish there were a way to focus the beam angle a bit so they aren't so "washy". Is there a way to focus the light from a wash to make it more of a beam? Maybe replace those little plastic conical things that are in front of each LED (not sure what they're called)?

Tommy Nikiforov:
Cant really do much other than make a diy tophat or the like.

Jeff Lelko:
Barndoors and top hats are typically how you reduce the beam size and spill of a wash light, respectively, but it’s less effective on multi-source LED fixtures such as the once you have.  Beyond that, zooming is an optics thing.  You’d need to replace the individual lenses over each LED, and even then results will be dicey.  At this price point you’d be much better off just buying the right fixture type versus doing fabrication on a fixture that’s not meant to be opened.  Hope this helps!

Dave Garoutte:
There are flat lens sheets available to shape light, that are used like a gel.  I have some that spread in one direction and narrow at 90 degrees.  I wouldn't be surprised if there are fresnel types also.

Paul G. OBrien:

--- Quote from: Rich Grisier on November 21, 2023, 02:01:17 PM ---I wish there were a way to focus the beam angle a bit so they aren't so "washy". Is there a way to focus the light from a wash to make it more of a beam? Maybe replace those little plastic conical things that are in front of each LED (not sure what they're called)?

--- End quote ---

Yes replacing the individual lenses is the way to do it, I have similar fixtures with 15deg lenses in them that essentially produce a beam output.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version