ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Danley TH112 amp recommendation  (Read 3783 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Danley TH112 amp recommendation
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2023, 06:40:59 PM »

Keep in mind all this work and expense just to make on stage "feel" better stands a good chance of making the main mix for the actual audience worse.

One of my venues features a plaster over lathe concave, fresnel band shell.  Think "That's All, Folks!".  Hollywood Bowl, indoors, on a smaller scale.  Most performers say it feels "weird" on stage, even with IEMs (I'm guessing the reflections into vox mics).  For fun, what sounds "good" on stage to the bassist and guitarists is muddy out front.  If the singer wants a 'really warm sound' in the wedges FOH is hopelessly screwed.  And out front *everything* on stage is louder that it seems to the players on stage.  Adding noise-making stuff to make it feel like a proscenium stage with soft goods just makes for additional misery.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2023, 11:28:30 AM »

One of my venues features a plaster over lathe concave, fresnel band shell.  Think "That's All, Folks!".  Hollywood Bowl, indoors, on a smaller scale.  Most performers say it feels "weird" on stage, even with IEMs (I'm guessing the reflections into vox mics).  For fun, what sounds "good" on stage to the bassist and guitarists is muddy out front.  If the singer wants a 'really warm sound' in the wedges FOH is hopelessly screwed.  And out front *everything* on stage is louder that it seems to the players on stage.  Adding noise-making stuff to make it feel like a proscenium stage with soft goods just makes for additional misery.

Do the people who run that venue say how great the acoustics are in that room? Most seen to think rooms with odd reverb decay or just really long decay with some flutter echo thrown in have great acoustics.

A time of two a year I work in room with a small bowl style stage and the room has two domed ceiling sections for added extra fun.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2023, 11:26:21 PM by Mike Caldwell »

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2023, 04:43:28 PM »

Venues like those can have "great acoustics", for the right program material.

Difficulties arise when the music doesn't match the venue.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2023, 11:28:09 PM »

Chris

True, but all too often it a music & venue mismatch.

Mal Brown

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2023, 12:49:51 PM »

OK, so what would you suggest for this scenario. Is it worth me making an attempt to fix this or am I just wasting my time trying t make this work? 

Thanks for all of your input.

LeVan - I'm a bass player and sound guy...   My bass rig is designed as a monitor with the use of a dedicated HPF.  Prt of my job is to get enough bass on stage to keep my other players glued together rhythmically bur not wnough to compete with the FOH.   ... and from a mixing perspective it is always VOCALS on top and out front!  Then the other stuff like bass, dums, keys, guitars...   One way to bet there is a quiet stage...   In my vocal pop oriented band, we can pretty much talk across stage amd we let the FOH do the heavy lifting.

I often get more bleed from the subs that I really want on stage anyway...

I would recommend that instead of trying to increase the level of bass on stage - get the rest of the band to turn down so the apparent bass is useful.

My .02, hopefully worth more.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2023, 02:35:50 PM »

Chris
Exactly

"great acoustics" for pipe organ are completely different than the acoustics needed for speech, which are different than traditional jazz which are different than to those needed for rock.

Back in the "classical era" the composers often wrote material that sounded good in the performance spaces near them.  They would not sound the same in different rooms.

When someone says "great acoustics", the answer should "for what?" 

We have a local Church in which the architect "claims" that the room will not make the "bad notes" stand out.

I have often wondered which notes are the "bad notes"?  Sure it sounds impressive to state, but what does it really mean?

All to often people just "spew" out things to try to impress others, who have no idea what they really mean.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2023, 02:35:50 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 24 queries.