Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Subwoofer Forum

Danley TH112 amp recommendation

(1/6) > >>

LeVan Moxley:
I just picked up a Danley TH112.  It's rated by Danley for 400w continuous and 800w program, 8 ohm.  Looking for recommendations for a good sub amp for this.  Thanks.

Scott Holtzman:

--- Quote from: LeVan Moxley on November 20, 2023, 03:09:52 AM ---I just picked up a Danley TH112.  It's rated by Danley for 400w continuous and 800w program, 8 ohm.  Looking for recommendations for a good sub amp for this.  Thanks.

--- End quote ---

The Danley amps are an obvious choice.

Ivan Beaver:

--- Quote from: LeVan Moxley on November 20, 2023, 03:09:52 AM ---I just picked up a Danley TH112.  It's rated by Danley for 400w continuous and 800w program, 8 ohm.  Looking for recommendations for a good sub amp for this.  Thanks.

--- End quote ---
Generally it is recommended to use an amp that is rated from the continuous power to twice the continuous power of a loudspeaker.

Yes there are exceptions, such as having an amp rated from 1/4 continuous to 4x continuous rating, or as low as 1 watt.

Do you need an amp with processing?  Do you want to use manufacturers presets or roll your own?  What is your mains power?  How long are your speaker cable runs and what gauge?  Does size matter?  Does fan noise matter?  Does heat (BTU) matter?  Does airflow direction matter? Does weight matter? Do speaker connectors matter, what about inputs?  Are you looking for continuous output or burst  output peak power?  If burst power, what sort of duty cycle are you looking at? does availablility matter?  What about local service? etc.

It all depends on the specific applications and often there are other things to consider than just simple power rating.

Since you did not provide any details of SPECIFIC usage, you can use an amp from 1 watt to 1600 watts or you might need an amp rated up to 5000-6000 watts.  But 400-800 watts is the general suggestion.

That is the "simple answer", which can often be very wrong for a specific usage.

LeVan Moxley:

--- Quote from: Ivan Beaver on November 21, 2023, 07:58:48 AM ---Generally it is recommended to use an amp that is rated from the continuous power to twice the continuous power of a loudspeaker.

Yes there are exceptions, such as having an amp rated from 1/4 continuous to 4x continuous rating, or as low as 1 watt.

Do you need an amp with processing?  Do you want to use manufacturers presets or roll your own?  What is your mains power?  How long are your speaker cable runs and what gauge?  Does size matter?  Does fan noise matter?  Does heat (BTU) matter?  Does airflow direction matter? Does weight matter? Do speaker connectors matter, what about inputs?  Are you looking for continuous output or burst  output peak power?  If burst power, what sort of duty cycle are you looking at? does availablility matter?  What about local service? etc.

It all depends on the specific applications and often there are other things to consider than just simple power rating.

Since you did not provide any details of SPECIFIC usage, you can use an amp from 1 watt to 1600 watts or you might need an amp rated up to 5000-6000 watts.  But 400-800 watts is the general suggestion.

That is the "simple answer", which can often be very wrong for a specific usage.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Ivan for replying.  I appreciate your knowledge and expertise.  Here are some more specifics and answers to your questions.

This will be for a church, on stage, stage rear center.  Purpose is to add extended bass frequencies on stage area.  Program material will be music tracks.  Type of material is equivalent to rock music.

Yes on an amp with processing.
Manufacturer presets preferred
Mains power is 1200w left and 1200w right, 2400w continuous
Cable run 30' 12 gauge Whirlwind cable
Plenty of space in the rack to mount
Rack is in its own dedicated climate controlled space so fan noise and heat should not be a concern
I don't think airflow will be a concern
Weight is not an issue
Speaker connections not a concern, Speakon, binding post, strip, anything
inputs - XLR would be great, but Phoenix or barrier strip ok also
continuous output

Hope this helps.  If there are more questions, I will do my best to answer correctly.
Thanks again.

Scott Holtzman:

--- Quote from: LeVan Moxley on November 21, 2023, 12:07:48 PM ---Thanks Ivan for replying.  I appreciate your knowledge and expertise.  Here are some more specifics and answers to your questions.

This will be for a church, on stage, stage rear center.  Purpose is to add extended bass frequencies on stage area.  Program material will be music tracks.  Type of material is equivalent to rock music.

Yes on an amp with processing.
Manufacturer presets preferred
Mains power is 1200w left and 1200w right, 2400w continuous
Cable run 30' 12 gauge Whirlwind cable
Plenty of space in the rack to mount
Rack is in its own dedicated climate controlled space so fan noise and heat should not be a concern
I don't think airflow will be a concern
Weight is not an issue
Speaker connections not a concern, Speakon, binding post, strip, anything
inputs - XLR would be great, but Phoenix or barrier strip ok also
continuous output

Hope this helps.  If there are more questions, I will do my best to answer correctly.
Thanks again.

--- End quote ---

What kind of mains?

I don't think you will find that to be enough sub.  Do you have any processing power available in your board or downstream?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version