Church and H.O.W. Forums for HOW Sound and AV - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Church and HOW Forums > Church Sound

Soundcraft Si Impact fader help

(1/1)

Jaspreet Singh:
This my sound dumb but here I am. I am a volunteer trying to learn as much as I can.

We have a SI Impact at our temple. My question is,
in our output buses the fx is controlled by faders labled "ST".
On layer "B" I have 4 "ST" faders that I adjust the fx on.
On layer "C" I have 4 "FX" faders and they are zeroed out.
When I go to adjust fx for individual channels I adjust them on the individual fx buttons on the top of the mixer.

What is the difference? Why is it fx and st? Is it st after its mixed and before its mixed its fx?? Help lol

Secondly, when I add a "ST" fader to layer "A" to contol the total fx, I can no longer go into the individual mixes to adjust individual volume to outs (the little buttoms on top of the fader section and below the knobs,Mix1, Mix2, ETC). Why is that?

John Schalk:

--- Quote from: Jaspreet Singh on November 09, 2023, 12:32:59 AM ---This my sound dumb but here I am. I am a volunteer trying to learn as much as I can.

We have a SI Impact at our temple. My question is,
in our output buses the fx is controlled by faders labled "ST".
On layer "B" I have 4 "ST" faders that I adjust the fx on.
On layer "C" I have 4 "FX" faders and they are zeroed out.
When I go to adjust fx for individual channels I adjust them on the individual fx buttons on the top of the mixer.
--- End quote ---


--- Quote from: Jaspreet Singh on November 09, 2023, 12:32:59 AM ---What is the difference? Why is it fx and st? Is it st after its mixed and before its mixed its fx?? Help lol

--- End quote ---
ST is just he default naming convention that Soundcraft uses when a single fader on the console is set up for stereo meaning that it controls two inputs to the mix.  The key point here is that the four "ST" channels on layer B control the outputs from the four effects engines.  We call the outputs from effects units the "return signal" because the channels that we sent to the effect, vocals to a reverb for example, are now being returned to the mix after being processed by the effects engine.  By default, all of the assigned channels on layers A & B are inputs to the mix.

The four "FX" channels on layer C are the master faders for the effects sends.  These are NOT inputs, rather they are master level controls for the signals going into the effects processors.  If they are all the way down then you are not sending any signal to the effects engines.  It is a pretty common practice to set the effects send masters to unity.  Note that, in the default patch for your console, layer C has the master faders for all of the mix and FX buses.


--- Quote from: Jaspreet Singh on November 09, 2023, 12:32:59 AM ---Secondly, when I add a "ST" fader to layer "A" to contol the total fx, I can no longer go into the individual mixes to adjust individual volume to outs (the little buttoms on top of the fader section and below the knobs,Mix1, Mix2, ETC). Why is that?

--- End quote ---
This should work. I did this all of the time with my vocal delay effects return channels.  My guess is that, if the four Effects send masters on layer C were all of the way down when you tried this, that would explain why you didn't hear any change in the sound.  Set the four masters to unity and try sending some channels to an effects mix again.

Soundcraft produced a decent set of tutorial videos for the Si Performer, which is very similar to your Impact.  I would refer back to them regularly when I needed help with a feature of my console so you may want to give them a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjK_mcW080M&list=PLz0h8w-JbLOLNEfkM9tdCjTnA_AIYoFDY&index=1&t=1s

Taylor Phillips:



--- Quote from: Jaspreet Singh 
What is the difference? Why is it fx and st? Is it st after its mixed and before its mixed its fx??
[/quote ---
One set of faders are the "sends" and the others are "returns". I'm not familiar with the Soundcraft boards, but I'd guess that the ones labeled ST are the stereo returns for the effects and FX are the sends.  You use the sends to send signal from the channels you want to add the effects to, and the returns send the processed signal to the main mix.

Channel -> FX send-> FX processor -> ST return -> Main mix.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk


--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version