Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Pro AV Forum

Camco Vortex 6 / No sound

(1/1)

Juha Stark:
Hi!

One of my Vortex 6s won’t play anymore. I turned the power off my power distributor yesterday and today when I turned it on the amp won’t play. The led lights turn on when I start it but then turn off. There is no lights at all. It doesn’t react on the signal at all. The fans are working so the amp powered..

I thought these were reliable amps.. Never played it hard or even close to clipping or pushing it too hot. Just have two 8ohm tops powered by it.

Any successions? Currently trying to find someone who knows about these amps.. There is no servive provider in Sweden.   >:(

Magnus Högkvist:

--- Quote from: Juha Stark on October 31, 2023, 12:01:33 PM ---Hi!

One of my Vortex 6s won’t play anymore. I turned the power off my power distributor yesterday and today when I turned it on the amp won’t play. The led lights turn on when I start it but then turn off. There is no lights at all. It doesn’t react on the signal at all. The fans are working so the amp powered..

I thought these were reliable amps.. Never played it hard or even close to clipping or pushing it too hot. Just have two 8ohm tops powered by it.

Any successions? Currently trying to find someone who knows about these amps.. There is no servive provider in Sweden.   >:(

--- End quote ---

I would get in contact with Intersonic. They at least used to have the distribution.

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: Juha Stark on October 31, 2023, 12:01:33 PM ---Hi!

--- End quote ---

In fairness, the Vortex 6 is probably close to 16 years old now.  The behavior indicates an internal fault condition (probably an output transistor or 2) that will require bench service to fix.

Juha Stark:
Thanks! I will get in touch with Intersonic.

I know these are old amps but still this is the first time I have had an amp that gives up after turning it off.. I’ve got old LAB amps that has never let me down no matter how hard I have pushed them. Will definitely stick to LAB in the future. Their support is great and the fact that there are dozens of people who provide service on them. At least here in Sweden.  ;D 

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: Juha Stark on November 03, 2023, 07:27:40 AM ---Thanks! I will get in touch with Intersonic.

I know these are old amps but still this is the first time I have had an amp that gives up after turning it off.. I’ve got old LAB amps that has never let me down no matter how hard I have pushed them. Will definitely stick to LAB in the future. Their support is great and the fact that there are dozens of people who provide service on them. At least here in Sweden.  ;D

--- End quote ---

I've experienced failure on power up as the most common time.  Whatever components that have been compromised or reached the end of their service life tend to open or short under current in-rush.

My experience with the Vortex was with the early Nexo S-8 array products and I rather liked them for the time.  I'm sure you'll get more gigs out of this one after repair.

Have fun, good luck.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version