Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > AC Power and Grounding

Correct wire size L 14/30

(1/4) > >>

Kemper Watson:
Title says it all. Running an amp rack with two PL 380 and two Crown 12000 HD. Thats all it will ever be used for. I have a 100 ft of 10g. Do I need bigger?

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: Kemper Watson on October 25, 2023, 08:28:19 AM ---Title says it all. Running an amp rack with two PL 380 and two Crown 12000 HD. Thats all it will ever be used for. I have a 100 ft of 10g. Do I need bigger?

--- End quote ---
Are you intending to keep the length 100 ft?  If so, the potential load from those amplifiers is sufficient that I'd up-size to at least #8 and run the ITechs @240V.

Kemper Watson:

--- Quote from: Tim McCulloch on October 25, 2023, 12:15:30 PM ---Are you intending to keep the length 100 ft?  If so, the potential load from those amplifiers is sufficient that I'd up-size to at least #8 and run the ITechs @240V.

--- End quote ---

I was hoping to do one 75 and one 25 with the wire I have. Most stages/ show we do that would do both sides. But if you think 8 would be better I'm off to the market

Brian Adams:
Everyone I know just uses 10ga for 30A circuits under 100'.

Rob Timmerman:

--- Quote from: Kemper Watson on October 25, 2023, 08:28:19 AM ---Title says it all. Running an amp rack with two PL 380 and two Crown 12000 HD. Thats all it will ever be used for. I have a 100 ft of 10g. Do I need bigger?

--- End quote ---

8AWG is what you need for a 30A circuit with 3 current-carrying conductors.  10AWG is acceptable for 2 current-carrying conductors.  If you connect that L14-30 to 2 legs of a 3-phase supply, the neutral is considered current-carrying, and even if you're fed from a split-phase supply, supplying nonlinear loads (of which switching power supplies are an example) also causes the neutral to be considered a current-carrying conductor.  Which is a long way of saying that 8AWG would be the appropriate wire size for this application.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version