Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Installed Sound/Contracting

Does Radian still make a great coax ceiling speaker?

<< < (2/2)

Robert Healey:

--- Quote from: Tim Weaver on October 23, 2023, 12:20:09 PM ---Years ago Radian’s 8 and 12” coax speakers with the 1” hf driver were the go-to for high performance ceiling speakers. Are they still just as good? Or is there something better today I should be looking at?

One thing I would absolutely love is a dante, poe, powered hefty ceiling speaker. Unfortunately the ones that are out there are a bit pricey and I have no idea how good or bad they sound.

--- End quote ---

I think we are at a point where the POE ceiling speakers (from Shure, QSC, and others) are there for voice and conferencing but not music.

By far the best ceiling speaker I have heard is Meyer's Ashby but it is out of reach on price point for most systems. If you are looking for a 12", EV still makes the EVID C12.2. They also have the PC8.2 which is designed to be a step above their standard speaker line in fidelity, though I have not heard it myself. The QSC AD-C820 and AD-C1200 are also performance-type speakers with a coaxial compression driver.

Caleb Dueck:

--- Quote from: Robert Healey on October 24, 2023, 01:41:02 PM ---By far the best ceiling speaker I have heard is Meyer's Ashby but it is out of reach on price point for most systems.

--- End quote ---

This reminds me - sometimes you can fabricate a custom bracket and use something like a Danley SM100 or even SM100F in a tile grid ceiling, properly suspended from above of course.  We've even thought about an angled bracket so various speakers of these can be time aligned to a degree back to 'time zero'. 

Tim Weaver:

--- Quote from: Caleb Dueck on October 25, 2023, 01:30:05 AM ---This reminds me - sometimes you can fabricate a custom bracket and use something like a Danley SM100 or even SM100F in a tile grid ceiling, properly suspended from above of course.  We've even thought about an angled bracket so various speakers of these can be time aligned to a degree back to 'time zero'.

--- End quote ---

This is something I’m considering. Actually angling the front and rear speakers in the tile grid to point more “properly” at the audience in order to create a bit of a surround setup. When used as an overflow we could run the mix into the front LCR cabs and the house mics in whatever cabs are in the rear.

In classroom mode all of these would function like standard ceiling speakers.

Craig Hauber:

--- Quote from: Tim Weaver on October 23, 2023, 12:20:09 PM ---Years ago Radian’s 8 and 12” coax speakers with the 1” hf driver were the go-to for high performance ceiling speakers. Are they still just as good? Or is there something better today I should be looking at?

One thing I would absolutely love is a dante, poe, powered hefty ceiling speaker. Unfortunately the ones that are out there are a bit pricey and I have no idea how good or bad they sound.

--- End quote ---
Yes they still have a catalog of the coax speakers but only the drivers themselves.  I recently swapped out some 25yr old water damaged 8" ones with the current one from Radian and they worked great and not sure if there was much difference other than the old ones were stamped frame LF vs the newer cast frame.  HF driver looked identical.  But the mounting panel, grill, backbox and crossover were existing so without those you would have to DIY.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version