Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Installed Sound/Contracting

Does Radian still make a great coax ceiling speaker?

(1/2) > >>

Tim Weaver:
Years ago Radian’s 8 and 12” coax speakers with the 1” hf driver were the go-to for high performance ceiling speakers. Are they still just as good? Or is there something better today I should be looking at?

One thing I would absolutely love is a dante, poe, powered hefty ceiling speaker. Unfortunately the ones that are out there are a bit pricey and I have no idea how good or bad they sound.

Caleb Dueck:

--- Quote from: Tim Weaver on October 23, 2023, 12:20:09 PM ---Years ago Radian’s 8 and 12” coax speakers with the 1” hf driver were the go-to for high performance ceiling speakers. Are they still just as good? Or is there something better today I should be looking at?

One thing I would absolutely love is a dante, poe, powered hefty ceiling speaker. Unfortunately the ones that are out there are a bit pricey and I have no idea how good or bad they sound.

--- End quote ---

I don't know how far up the "best" ladder you want to go before budget kicks in, but Martin ceiling speakers are the ones I try to use the most.  Especially the 8" model, if you're looking at sound quality.  If the SPL levels are lower, the 6" works well, but it doesn't seem to handle high SPL well.  For any type of ceiling speaker though, if sound quality is important - stay away from 70V where possible, and always add some small subwoofers.  Also - always have the system processed via DSP; I can't stand the trunk slammer level integrators that simply run from source - amp - speakers. 

Tim Weaver:

--- Quote from: Caleb Dueck on October 24, 2023, 12:27:35 AM ---I don't know how far up the "best" ladder you want to go before budget kicks in, but Martin ceiling speakers are the ones I try to use the most.  Especially the 8" model, if you're looking at sound quality.  If the SPL levels are lower, the 6" works well, but it doesn't seem to handle high SPL well.  For any type of ceiling speaker though, if sound quality is important - stay away from 70V where possible, and always add some small subwoofers.  Also - always have the system processed via DSP; I can't stand the trunk slammer level integrators that simply run from source - amp - speakers.

--- End quote ---

For sure. These would have a QSys somewhere upstream that would handle dsp duties

Mike Caldwell:

--- Quote from: Caleb Dueck on October 24, 2023, 12:27:35 AM ---I don't know how far up the "best" ladder you want to go before budget kicks in, but Martin ceiling speakers are the ones I try to use the most.  Especially the 8" model, if you're looking at sound quality.  If the SPL levels are lower, the 6" works well, but it doesn't seem to handle high SPL well.  For any type of ceiling speaker though, if sound quality is important - stay away from 70V where possible, and always add some small subwoofers.  Also - always have the system processed via DSP; I can't stand the trunk slammer level integrators that simply run from source - amp - speakers.

--- End quote ---

Properly processed, properly designed, good speakers and powered with a real amp 70v ceiling systems can sound good. All too often at least a couple items from that list are missing!

Tim Weaver:
In this particular room, it would not be an advantage to run 70V. This room is fairly small and can be configured several ways, creating several different zones that have to be switched on or off and basically processed differently for each setup.

It will bounce between large and small classrooms, and one big overflow room (which necessitates the higher quality audio) with a stream from out main stage. The overflow room will have to have a video delay applied as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version