Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Console Connectivity Solutions

Dumb, basic question: Router or Access Point?

<< < (2/5) > >>

dave briar:

--- Quote from: frank kayser on October 20, 2023, 07:20:38 PM ---I have never seen an access point with a DHCP server. 

--- End quote ---
IIRC Dr Ault was working on one solution but I don’t recall him ever reporting back on his explorations.

George Reiswig:

--- Quote from: dave briar on October 21, 2023, 11:50:29 AM ---IIRC Dr Ault was working on one solution but I don’t recall him ever reporting back on his explorations.

--- End quote ---
This has all been helpful, so thank everyone for sharing their knowledge. It fits with what my perception had been before, but adds some really valuable detail.

DHCP would be more convenient, I imagine, when giving band members access to the mixer to adjust their own monitors: just providing the network name and a password is likely a lot easier, right?

I noticed the Cisco AP with DHCP mentioned earlier in the thread has been discontinued. Is there anywhere a list of APs that seem to work well for people, and maybe includes whether dynamic protocols are even an option?

Scott Holtzman:

--- Quote from: dave briar on October 21, 2023, 11:50:29 AM ---IIRC Dr Ault was working on one solution but I don’t recall him ever reporting back on his explorations.

--- End quote ---
The Microtik Metal 52 happens to run the routerboard OS including a DHCP server! 

It is very fairly priced and I use a band clamp to attach a 2” atlas extension to the AP so it can go on any mic stand. 

The routerboard OS is full feature so it does all sorts of tricks.  You can configure the port with 802.1q clan trunking.  Each vlan can be assigned a different ssid creating as many wireless networks as you may need.  I have never tried it because the AP does not have a hardware routing chip but if you had a need to forward some packets between vlans you might be able to get away with that but I would watch CPU usage carefully as you don’t want to impact AP performance playing tricks. 

Speaking of monitoring the web interface has a great monitoring utility but if you want to collect stats the well documented SNMP MIB will give you tons of data on performance.

Don’t worry if none of that means anything to you.  You don’t need to know what any of that means to use it as an access point.  A setup utility allows you to choose access point and it will configure that role for you.  Set your IP network and get ready to rock and roll. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dave briar:

--- Quote from: Scott Holtzman on October 21, 2023, 05:24:41 PM ---The Microtik Metal 52 happens to run the routerboard OS including a DHCP server! 

It is very fairly priced and I use a band clamp to attach a 2” atlas extension to the AP so it can go on any mic stand. 

The routerboard OS is full feature so it does all sorts of tricks.  You can configure the port with 802.1q clan trunking.  Each vlan can be assigned a different ssid creating as many wireless networks as you may need.  I have never tried it because the AP does not have a hardware routing chip but if you had a need to forward some packets between vlans you might be able to get away with that but I would watch CPU usage carefully as you don’t want to impact AP performance playing tricks. 

Speaking of monitoring the web interface has a great monitoring utility but if you want to collect stats the well documented SNMP MIB will give you tons of data on performance.

Don’t worry if none of that means anything to you.  You don’t need to know what any of that means to use it as an access point.  A setup utility allows you to choose access point and it will configure that role for you.  Set your IP network and get ready to rock and roll. 

--- End quote ---
I assume you’d still need a POE injector in your rack?

Scott Holtzman:

--- Quote from: dave briar on October 22, 2023, 11:51:41 AM ---I assume you’d still need a POE injector in your rack?

--- End quote ---
Yes, it includes one or you can use a switch with POE.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version