ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Dumb, basic question: Router or Access Point?  (Read 4639 times)

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
Re: Dumb, basic question: Router or Access Point?
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2023, 04:51:01 PM »

IIRC Dr Ault was working on one solution but I don’t recall him ever reporting back on his explorations. {emphasis added}

I'm not sure if this is meant to be a compliment or a slight. :P

My experimentation with OpenWRT on a UniFI Mesh AP got put on hold due to higher priority activities getting in the way, and also because I hit a weird snag (namely that "stock firmware" + "my Android phone with a static IPv4 address" has been working stably for years, but "OpenWRT" + "my Android phone with a static IPv4 address" caused a connection loop so bad that the phone actually ended up rebooting itself). The experimentation will continue, but at this point probably not until November.

-Russ

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2023, 06:03:01 PM »

My experimentation with OpenWRT on a UniFI Mesh AP got put on hold due to higher priority activities getting in the way, and also because I hit a weird snag (namely that "stock firmware" + "my Android phone with a static IPv4 address" has been working stably for years, but "OpenWRT" + "my Android phone with a static IPv4 address" caused a connection loop so bad that the phone actually ended up rebooting itself). The experimentation will continue, but at this point probably not until November.

-Russ

Russ,
I sure it was meant as a compliment  ;) As we all know, real life always seems to get in the way.  Life and work are just four letter words, among others we use under pressure.  We're interested in your results, when (and if) you get back to us.
frank

dave briar

• Helena Montana, USA
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2023, 12:25:36 AM »

Definitely a compliment sir. No slight intended.
    ….well, OK, I guess a slight (hopefully respectful) tease in recognition of the knowledge, willingness to research, and ability to communicate you bring to these discussions.  Thanks for the update on your explorations with OpenWRT.
..db

John L Nobile

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2023, 10:53:35 AM »

I've always used wireless routers. The 4 or 5 hardwire ports come in handy for connecting non wifi gear to the network. Plus it has the DHCP server and other features that may be useful.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2023, 03:46:45 AM »

I've always used wireless routers. The 4 or 5 hardwire ports come in handy for connecting non wifi gear to the network. Plus it has the DHCP server and other features that may be useful.

Did you see my quote on the Microtik AP's they have DHCP server.  The quality of the AP in a router is poor compared to a dedicated AP.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

John L Nobile

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2023, 10:51:47 AM »

Did you see my quote on the Microtik AP's they have DHCP server.  The quality of the AP in a router is poor compared to a dedicated AP.

I don't have a very complicated wifi setup so I've never had issues. If I did need a complex reliable system, I'd probably go with AP's connected to a router. Microtic router with Aruba AP's if I had the budget.

I have to say that I'm impressed with the Microtik router we have that handles 100 AP's for one of our hotel wings. Easy setup and totally (knock on wood) reliable for a year and a half. The one you mentioned looks like an outdoor unit and only seems to have one port so I'd need a switch with that one for my setup.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2023, 03:35:03 PM »

{...} The one you mentioned {...} only seems to have one port so I'd need a switch with that one for my setup.

This is actually a feature, not a bug: Wi-Fi is even more line-of-sight-dependent than wireless microphones, which means that the best place to put an AP is almost never the best place to put a switch. Leave the switch in a rack (or doghouse) with the rest of the gear, and mount the AP to something tall.

-Russ

John L Nobile

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2023, 04:21:21 PM »

This is actually a feature, not a bug: Wi-Fi is even more line-of-sight-dependent than wireless microphones, which means that the best place to put an AP is almost never the best place to put a switch. Leave the switch in a rack (or doghouse) with the rest of the gear, and mount the AP to something tall.

-Russ

Good point.

My needs are basic. I have my DSP and 2 - X32's plugged into my router and my laptop (PC) connected with wifi to control the processor. It's an older router but it's been rock solid. If I was having problems, I would either tie into the Aruba system in the room or do a dedicated router/AP setup.

doug johnson2

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2024, 01:08:21 PM »

I have been using separate access points for years now.    First, EnGenius, then Ubiquity, and currently Microtiks.  They are easy to deploy and elevate, and they tend to be more powerful than your standard wifi router.  I tend to use them with a router but, assign static ips to most of my devices and just have a small DCHP range for those time when someone comes in with their own device.  I am also currently using some Microtik bridges in some of my racks for DSP and monitoring.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2024, 07:01:17 AM »

I have been using separate access points for years now.    First, EnGenius, then Ubiquity, and currently Microtiks.  They are easy to deploy and elevate, and they tend to be more powerful than your standard wifi router.  I tend to use them with a router but, assign static ips to most of my devices and just have a small DCHP range for those time when someone comes in with their own device.  I am also currently using some Microtik bridges in some of my racks for DSP and monitoring.

I can't believe I missed this little win.  My new iPad AIR's, and Pro support 6Ghz.  I am thinking of picking up a 6Ghz Microtik AP.  That should solve the audience degradation issue.  Just the engineer will be on the 6 Ghz network.  In my experience the only time it is important is setting up the monitors and they are mostly onstage. FOH work takes place at (drum roll) FOH.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2024, 07:01:17 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 23 queries.