ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: hum on videos  (Read 4079 times)

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
Re: hum on videos
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2023, 10:18:54 PM »

"Fixes" like that kind of scare me in not knowing what the actual problem cause was.

Agreed.

I'd undo the bundle and shake the daylights out of everything to try to locate the culprit - 'cuz it's gonna come back and likely at the worst possible moment (according to Murphy).

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2023, 12:07:01 AM »

Hum is present on all four microphones after testing.  I did some isolating.  Zip tied certain wires so they don't touch other wires, etc.  No idea how it happened, but hum is now gone.  Thanks for all the help.

That's hardly a fix.  Those kind of intermittent issues is what bites you in the tush.  Don't you have curiosity what the issue is?  Are you satisfied with the resolution?  How do you think the elders at the church would feel?  This could come back at worst moment.

The whole deal of recording to the camera is also a Rube Goldberg mess.  Need to learn how to use a video software package.  Money is not an issue as many are free. 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2023, 01:08:07 AM »

Hum is present on all four microphones after testing.  I did some isolating.  Zip tied certain wires so they don't touch other wires, etc.  No idea how it happened, but hum is now gone.  Thanks for all the help.

As my colleagues have advised you, the problem isn't resolved - you essentially put a bandaid on cancer.

There's a dirty connector, shield shorted, cold solder joint, broken conductor or similar issue there waiting to manifest itself at the least opportune time.

Consider investing in a cable tester like one of these:  https://dbxpro.com/en-US/products/ct-2

If some simple bundling and wire ties eliminated the noise, it should be fairly easy to isolate it.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2023, 01:54:01 PM »

Last week I watched an old black and white movie from the 30s-40s and there was hum on the soundtrack. It wasn't a lot and was most audible when compression in the broadcast chain cranked up the gain during a quiet part.

Hum Happens... I suspect some movies add it for effect, like the huge guitar amp in back to the future...

JR 
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2023, 02:04:55 PM »

Hum Happens... I suspect some movies add it for effect, like the huge guitar amp in back to the future...

JR
Like the obligatory feedback that happens whenever someone walks to a mic. That's movies. You don't want it in real life.
Brian Jojade

Wal Mann

• Wollongong NSW Australia
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2023, 11:10:25 PM »

JR

Also some Sci-fi movies and TV shows have a continuous hum/rumble when on spacecraft of all kinds, I thought it was used to mask other noise intrusions that didn’t belong.

Wal

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2023, 12:19:53 AM »

Also some Sci-fi movies and TV shows have a continuous hum/rumble when on spacecraft of all kinds, I thought it was used to mask other noise intrusions that didn’t belong.

Wal

Yes, Star Trek TNG had that and it was a pain.  I guess folding space with a warp drive also rumbles like a piston engine!

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Jaspreet Singh

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2023, 12:39:33 AM »

Glad it is fixed. I am a new learner too but I learned if you have low voltage and high voltage wires running parallel for 2 ft within 2 ft it will cause disturbance. Second reason for hum like that is a loose connection. 2 main issues

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2023, 12:09:46 PM »

Glad it is fixed. I am a new learner too but I learned if you have low voltage and high voltage wires running parallel for 2 ft within 2 ft it will cause disturbance. Second reason for hum like that is a loose connection. 2 main issues
Hum is typically introduced either as a ground loop from devices on 2 different ground points, or through external noise inducted into the signal line.

Those arbitrary distance numbers are based on pretty much nothing.

With a proper balanced signal, running parallel lines long distance can be done without issue.  Unbalanced cables are more susceptible to interference, but with good shielding and grounding you can be fairly noise free.

Poor connections on balanced connections can mean losing one side of the balanced signal. This results in a loss of volume that can be adjusted for and seemingly be a non issue, but at that point, you're now subject to noise interference.

Ground loop issues with bad ground connections means devices may be at different ground potentials and hum may seemingly come and go.  Creating a solid ground is a solution, as well as transformer isolation of the devices so that it doesn't matter that they are at different ground potentials.  Transformer isolation is generally the most reliable solution.
Brian Jojade

Patrick Tracy

• Boulder Sound Guy
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2023, 03:33:23 PM »

I routinely ran a 100' extension alongside a 100' snake (typically about 80' of close proximity) with no audible hum. It actually solved hum problems due to unbalanced returns and using a nearby outlet to power FOH.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2023, 03:33:23 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.