ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rackmount Pre-Amp / Stereo to Mono  (Read 1729 times)

Matt Willcott

Rackmount Pre-Amp / Stereo to Mono
« on: October 13, 2023, 11:25:23 AM »

Hello,

I have been having trouble finding something simple, preferably a rackmount and single device, that meets my basic needs.
I would like to input a stereo "line level" signal, apply some amplification, and output mixed/summed mono.  I've used a Samson MCD2 Pro for a similar stereo to mono setup, but would like the additional amplification and rackmount form if possible, without going into overkill territory on the hardware and costs for just a single audio path.  A bonus would be to have a compressor/limiter built in as well, but I'll take any suggestions at this point.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Matthew

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
Re: Rackmount Pre-Amp / Stereo to Mono
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2023, 12:06:44 PM »

Hello,

I have been having trouble finding something simple, preferably a rackmount and single device, that meets my basic needs.
I would like to input a stereo "line level" signal, apply some amplification, and output mixed/summed mono.  I've used a Samson MCD2 Pro for a similar stereo to mono setup, but would like the additional amplification and rackmount form if possible, without going into overkill territory on the hardware and costs for just a single audio path.  A bonus would be to have a compressor/limiter built in as well, but I'll take any suggestions at this point.

Thank you,

Matthew

A Xilica QR1 with mic/line input card and line output card will do it, with a LOT more processing power.  I assume you want to output balanced mono line level, but with a bit of gain to get to pro line level?  You'll need to go bare wire into the DSP, which isn't hard, as it can take in unbalanced or balanced input.  It's mic/line level input, so it can handle true balanced line level, consumer "line level", or mic level. 

At the cheaper end of the spectrum, if you don't want balanced signals, the miniDSP 2x4 HD is super inexpensive ($225). 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2023, 03:13:39 PM »

Ashly LX308 is one to have a look at.  https://ashly.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/lx-308b.pdf

There are many options - analog & digital.  in the end it comes down to how much processing you want and how much money you want to spend.  As well, how to control it - knobs or software.

For simple DJ system setups, music controller and 2-3 mics (1 wired, 2 line level wireless) I have gone the digital stage box mixer route with MIDAS MR12's and Behringer XR12's.  They are rack mountable but take up 2 spaces, 3 spaces if you want to backset them and use patch bays.  Teh trade-off here is I need a laptop to control them.

Again, many many options - there is no "best" solution, there is the one that best fits your needs, application and budget.

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2023, 12:59:46 AM »

Hello,

Thank you,

Behringer Flow-8 mixer is dirt-cheap.   Unfortunately not rack mount but gives you summing, EQ and comp/limit for cheaper than anything else I've found.

If you don't like Behringer then Caleb's idea of the Xilica is probably the next true-rackmount step up offering those options turnkey.  Other than that it would be DIY or a lunchbox of 500-series modules

Matthew
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2023, 08:59:37 AM »

What do you mean by amplification? Is this a preamp situation that will go on to more line oevel gear? Or do you want to hook speakers straight up to it?

Sounds like a small rack mixer would work. This one in particular, mixes everything down to a mono output.
https://www.audiopile.net/ML-620e
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2023, 08:10:36 AM »

What do you mean by amplification? Is this a preamp situation that will go on to more line oevel gear? Or do you want to hook speakers straight up to it?

Sounds like a small rack mixer would work. This one in particular, mixes everything down to a mono output.
https://www.audiopile.net/ML-620e

I was going to mention a rack mount strip mixer as well, many have a mono sum out, easy to use not much in the way of processing though short of some simple EQ, Denon and ART have models that do the basics of what your looking for.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2023, 08:10:36 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 20 queries.