ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nexo Alpha B1-18 / 3 pcs parallel  (Read 2111 times)

Juha Stark

Nexo Alpha B1-18 / 3 pcs parallel
« on: August 11, 2023, 08:29:42 PM »

I considering to buy another pair of B1s so that I have 6 in total. My plan was to drive 3 B1s per side by using one amp channel per stack. This means the B1s would be driven at 2 ohms.
At the moment Iíve got one Lab FP6400 and one Lab FP10000 to do the job.

My question is would the FP6400 be sufficient for this application or should I get one more amp to drive the 3rd pair with it? I could also get one FP14000 for really good price if the FP6400 lacks power to drive all 6 B1s..

Cheers!

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2023, 10:07:26 PM »

I considering to buy another pair of B1s so that I have 6 in total.

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac
admin

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
Re: Nexo Alpha B1-18 / 3 pcs parallel
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2023, 11:04:07 AM »

I considering to buy another pair of B1s so that I have 6 in total. My plan was to drive 3 B1s per side by using one amp channel per stack. This means the B1s would be driven at 2 ohms.
At the moment Iíve got one Lab FP6400 and one Lab FP10000 to do the job.

My question is would the FP6400 be sufficient for this application or should I get one more amp to drive the 3rd pair with it? I could also get one FP14000 for really good price if the FP6400 lacks power to drive all 6 B1s..

Cheers!

I worked with Nexo Alpha for a few years. We often ran 3x cabs linked (M3s and B1s), which was down to 2ohm. The amps were either Crown MA5002VZ, or Camco Vortex 6 for the B1s.

Both amps did a reasonable job, but IMO it's best to avoid 2ohm/ch operation for any amplifier, unless you've done some serious testing beforehand to make sure it'll hold up fine. IIRC, it was usually either the B1s or S2s that hit the limiters first on the Nexo processor, depending on the program material.

Consider this: if your FP6400 shuts down due to overheating, do you have any backups?

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Juha Stark

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2023, 05:15:29 PM »

Thanks for the reply!

I decided to buy 4 B1s and an additional Camco Vortex 6 so all the B1s will be driven in 3ohm.

ProSoundWeb Community

¬ę Reply #3 on: October 04, 2023, 05:15:29 PM ¬Ľ

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 22 queries.