Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > AC Power and Grounding

Paying for Air

<< < (2/3) > >>

Bob Stone:

--- Quote from: Brian Jojade on October 01, 2023, 10:11:48 PM ---These don't do anything to 'clean up' the power.  MOVs and audio can be problematic as they age and actually cause more noise and ground loops.

The size of the box is for convenience. Being deeper means access to the outlets is closer to the depth of the rest of your gear.  Thinner/smaller units are available if that's what you're looking for.

--- End quote ---

I was just surprised how much empty space was in there when I popped the cover off. The access part makes sense, but talk about paying for a glorified power bar lol

Of course, when you get a used one for $20, there's not much to complain about. It'll suffice for the little wireless rack I'm putting together.

John L Nobile:
I started laughing when the guy pooped the lid off. I expected empty space but mice would think it was a mansion.

Steve-White:

--- Quote from: Bob Stone on October 01, 2023, 10:54:32 PM ---I was just surprised how much empty space was in there when I popped the cover off. The access part makes sense, but talk about paying for a glorified power bar lol

Of course, when you get a used one for $20, there's not much to complain about. It'll suffice for the little wireless rack I'm putting together.

--- End quote ---

Not defending here.  The Furman stuff is in large part, at least the one's I've looked inside and yes I do open them all up - well built.

Circuit card construction for the outlets is nice and they are good quality outlets and such.  All the "Conditioning" snake oil aside, racks need multiply outlets and the Furman stuff is a good solution.

Daniel Levi:
Just think, what goes into these boxes will be similar to what goes into a surge protected extension lead, and there isn't a lot of room for circuitry in there.
Some of the Behringer rackmount effects are just two PCB's, one on the front panel and one on the back panel plus a transformer,  a fair bit of air!
It's when they put a lump of metal in the device to give it more weight that I start to get worried!

doug johnson2:
Not knocking the product but, yes, it is not much more than a glorified surge protector. Pretty much plugs, a switch, and MOVs.  As other have said MOVs can cause problems as they age.  The most common problem I have found is they can cause GFCIs to trip.  You use to be able to get replacement from Furman, very reasonably.   I also recall many years ago, opening up a Behringer 16 channel mixer that was also mostly empty chassis.  I just chalked it up to the "Invisible Pre-amps" they were marketing at the time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version