ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Generator along side shore power  (Read 466 times)

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
Generator along side shore power
« on: May 17, 2024, 12:08:50 AM »

I not exactly sure how to navigate this, but someone here always seems to have good advise, if not the outright answer.  I have an event coming up where a single 15A outlet is provided, but I'd like to bring a bit more low end than is probably a good idea for one circuit.  I do have a generator that theoretically could provide the addition power needed, but I'm not sure how to use them both together safely and hopefully without any bad sounds.  In the past we've just rented whisper watt that could cover the whole show, but that's not in the budget this time.  My gut tells me just don't do it.  My brain wants to know why.  Thanks for any advise!
This space for rent

Stephen Swaffer

Re: Generator along side shore power
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2024, 12:54:56 PM »

I not exactly sure how to navigate this, but someone here always seems to have good advise, if not the outright answer.  I have an event coming up where a single 15A outlet is provided, but I'd like to bring a bit more low end than is probably a good idea for one circuit.  I do have a generator that theoretically could provide the addition power needed, but I'm not sure how to use them both together safely and hopefully without any bad sounds.  In the past we've just rented whisper watt that could cover the whole show, but that's not in the budget this time.  My gut tells me just don't do it.  My brain wants to know why.  Thanks for any advise!

The tricky part is the outlet has grounds and neutrals separated-the genny may or may not have banded ground/neutral.  From a safety standpoint, tie the grounds together and you "should" be fine.  As long as equipment is modern, other than ill advised potentially short surge devices, the neutral shouldn't be connected to anything that matters anyway.
Steve Swaffer

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2024, 01:37:19 PM »

Like Sephen said, chances are you'll be just fine, especially if all AC grounds are bonded.  However, if your outlet that you get to use is a GFCI outlet, that may cause you some major troubles.

Personally though, I'd just deal with the single circuit and not mess with adding a generator to the equation.  Pulling power from separate, random locations isn't something I do anymore.  Either there's proper power, or I'll pass on the event.
Brian Jojade

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2024, 02:13:03 PM »

Like Sephen said, chances are you'll be just fine, especially if all AC grounds are bonded.  However, if your outlet that you get to use is a GFCI outlet, that may cause you some major troubles.

Personally though, I'd just deal with the single circuit and not mess with adding a generator to the equation.  Pulling power from separate, random locations isn't something I do anymore.  Either there's proper power, or I'll pass on the event.
Or just use the genny.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2024, 02:25:22 PM »

Or just use the genny.

If going on generator power, the client should pay for it AND it should be properly sized for the event.
Brian Jojade

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2024, 07:29:58 PM »

Or just use the genny.

This right here.  A single 15A circuit is definitely NOT worth the hassle of mixing power sources, and is only good for work lights for load-in/out. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2024, 07:56:59 PM »

Did you mention the possible power issue to anyone?  If so did they say something like "that's what everyone uses"!
Are they expecting this to be a bigger type of show all on their one 15 amp outlet?

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2024, 11:45:16 PM »

Or just use the genny.

This right here.  A single 15A circuit is definitely NOT worth the hassle of mixing power sources, and is only good for work lights for load-in/out.

Bingo.  Just run the whole sumbich on generator and be done with it.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2024, 02:15:16 PM by Steve-White »

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2024, 04:07:06 PM »

The tricky part is the outlet has grounds and neutrals separated-the genny may or may not have banded ground/neutral.  From a safety standpoint, tie the grounds together and you "should" be fine.  As long as equipment is modern, other than ill advised potentially short surge devices, the neutral shouldn't be connected to anything that matters anyway.

Several years ago I provided the rig/lights for a stage at an outdoor festival ....... the client supplied a generator.
All of my power amps (XS4300/K2/IT6000) worked except for one (an XTI4000 kept going into fault mode).  That amp was handling the low drivers in my 4-way rig.
I ran a cord to a hardwired outlet 100' away for the XTI amp and did the gig.  No issues at all mixing the power sources.

Your mileage may vary.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2024, 04:07:06 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 24 queries.