Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Installed Sound/Contracting

line arrays or speakers?

(1/2) > >>

Sophia Rodriguez:
Hi everyone,

I'm a beginner engineer, and I need your wisdom please :)

I need to get line arrays OR speakers (and subwoofers) for a dancing space.

The target crowd is dancers on the floor, NOT the audience on the risers.

The floor is made of wood. The walls are covered with acoustics tiles.

My options:
1) Put 2 or 3 line arrays+a subwoofer on each side, on the wall (can't install it on the ceiling). Marked as "OPTION A" in the diagram
2) Option 2: Put 4 speakers on the floor behind the curtain below the screen ("OPTION B"), and one subwoofer in the middle

My questions:
1) which option is better for the people who dance on stage (let's assume that a $1,000 up or down is not a consideration)?
2) Is there a way to mount line arrays+subwoofer on walls (and not on the ceiling)?
3) Assuming that I'm choosing line arrays, what is my next step before purchasing?
How can I calculate how many line array speakers I need?

*The pictures of line arrays/speakers/sub in the diagram are just for demonstration purposes.

Thank you very much!! :)

Sophia

Mike Caldwell:
Putting the speakers on the floor with the exception of the subwoofer would be a bad idea. No one would hear any mids of highs when the floor fills up and people are standing in front of the  speakers.

Brian Jojade:
1. Option B is horrible. People in the room will block the sound and it will be a mess. Behind the curtain will be even worse, unless the curtain is acoustically transparent.  Doesn't appear to be so from the posted image.

2. Mounting a bracket on the wall certainly is an option, if the wall is structurally capable.  That's something that would require an onsite inspection or a blueprint to determine.  Same would hold true for hanging from the ceiling.

3. What you are picturing are absolutely NOT line arrays.  They are a pair of speakers hung below a sub.  It's the hot ticket item right now though that manufacturers use to sell more boxes that can do the same (or less) than a traditional boring box that would likely provide better coverage and sound.

In this size room, line array shouldn't even be considered.  Normal trap boxes on each side will suffice. Sub placement on the ground would be the least expensive route vs hanging, but in the air means it's out of the way, which may be worth it.

Ivan Beaver:
In that size space, why would you even consider a line array?
Single source speakers are your best bet overall.

What is your budget? for speakers, amps, cables, install etc

That makes a HUGE difference in what sort of usable answers you can get.

What sort of REALISTIC SPLS are you looking for?  Or put another way, what sort of "dancing?"  IS this EDM or square dancing?  HUGE difference in gear needed and cost

Scott Hofmann:
Sophia you really, really need to hook up with a nearby integrator or a firm which designs and installs sound/lighting, for your projects.
You readily admit to not knowing much about these things (also from your ControBooth post about lighting in a different space) so why seek internet help on something that
requires such expertise? I'm just trying to be helpful here, not trying to shame you. That way you would work with someone on a personal level and not get well-meaning and sometimes conflicting thoughts but not the comprehensive advice you need on these projects. Just my 2 cents.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version