Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Audio Measurement and Testing

X32 DUAL EQ INSERT DILEMMA

(1/3) > >>

Dave Manini:
It's unclear if it's possible to utilize the 31Band Tru EQ with individual channels.  The View indicates L/R in position #8 and the upper left shows the channel selected.  I can move the group (block) from left to right and adjust each frequency but it has no processing effect in the Mains Output. The Owners Manual doesn't show the page of interest. The Main Panel EQ adjustments are maxed out(minimum on four bands) and there is still some ringing. Source mic is a headworn uni-directional. Room is highly reflective. Had a Allen&Heath ZED-428 analog previously with about the same level of success. Figured I should be able to notch out the 'offenders' if I could utilize the EQ Insert.  Our team is highly negative on utilizing the Gate to at least assist the feedback issue which I felt would help given it's the only live mic.

Russell Ault:

--- Quote from: Dave Manini on August 07, 2023, 12:45:05 PM ---It's unclear if it's possible to utilize the 31Band Tru EQ with individual channels.  The View indicates L/R in position #8 and the upper left shows the channel selected.  I can move the group (block) from left to right and adjust each frequency but it has no processing effect in the Mains Output. The Owners Manual doesn't show the page of interest. The Main Panel EQ adjustments are maxed out(minimum on four bands) and there is still some ringing. Source mic is a headworn uni-directional. Room is highly reflective. Had a Allen&Heath ZED-428 analog previously with about the same level of success. Figured I should be able to notch out the 'offenders' if I could utilize the EQ Insert.  Our team is highly negative on utilizing the Gate to at least assist the feedback issue which I felt would help given it's the only live mic.

--- End quote ---

All 8 of the effects (or, to be more specific, all 16 halves of the 8 effects) on the X32 can be inserted onto individual channels either post-gate or pre-fader. If the effect you've inserted doesn't appear to be doing anything, the first thing I'd check is to make sure insert point is actually enabled in the channel configuration (disabled is the default). (Incidentally, it's a lot easier to troubleshoot X32 routing issues if you post a copy of your show file or scene since it takes a lot of the guess work out.)

IMHO, outside of some very specific circumstances I'd avoid using a gate for feedback control on a head-worn microphone, since the feedback is just as capable of keeping the gate open as the source material, and the nature of that feedback will change significantly depending on where the microphone is (so even things like key filters won't really be much help). Also, unless it's one of the big Garth Brooks-style headsets, is there a reason you're using a direction microphone?

-Russ

Mike Caldwell:
Do not keep just chopping away with more and more EQ points chasing feedback, the EQ will just turn into a signal attenuator. What is the overall system.

Gates are not for general feedback control and will almost always cause issues trying to use them on vocal mics, you will be chasing after the magic threshold and never find it.

There must have been some article posted somewhere about using gates to stop feedback, it seems there have been a lot of post about trying to use gates on vocal mics and I have had people asking me about it.

lindsay Dean:
If you are having to do all that work trying to chase feedback
 it sounds more like a monitor /main speaker  tuning /placement problem
that cannot be cured by hacking up the mic channel.

Russell Ault:

--- Quote from: Mike Caldwell on August 07, 2023, 11:41:48 PM ---{...} There must have been some article posted somewhere about using gates to stop feedback, it seems there have been a lot of post about trying to use gates on vocal mics and I have had people asking me about it.

--- End quote ---

Huh, that's definitely curious. I mean, there are definitely dynamics-based things you can do to increase GBF (with the Neve Primary Source Enhancer being perhaps the best-known example), but I'm fairly certain those are typically expander-based instead of gate-based.

-Russ

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version