Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > AC Power and Grounding

L-Acoustics LA12x - Powering Amp Racks with 208v/3Phase

<< < (2/3) > >>

Tim McCulloch:
I'm following because I've got a rack of LA12x and I'd love to get it off 120V to 240.

Anyone from l'Acoustic USA on the forum?

Ross Goldman (2):
I asked the Senior Application Project Engineer for L-Acoustics USA and he replied:

"You absolutely CANíT use 208volts for our controllers

You need for each controller, 1 x ground, 1 x neutral and 1 x hot at 110vots.

Each controller need to have his own breaker."

Russell Ault:

--- Quote from: Ross Goldman (2) on August 08, 2023, 08:24:45 PM ---I asked the Senior Application Project Engineer for L-Acoustics USA and he replied:

--- End quote ---

That's...bizarre. Did he mention why they need a neutral?

-Russ

Stephen Swaffer:
Not intending to throw shade on L-Acoustics engineers but I have dealt with way too many issues created by product engineers that did not understand power distribution or how to properly size wire taking in to account derating, etc.

That said, it makes sense from a lawyer/liability standpoint.  Too many people don't understand how to check for voltage without a neutral present and if you derive 208/220/230/240 from two 110 circuits, if a breaker trips on one it will look there is no power there when in fact there still is.

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: Ross Goldman (2) on August 08, 2023, 08:24:45 PM ---I asked the Senior Application Project Engineer for L-Acoustics USA and he replied:

--- End quote ---

Yeah, I'd want to hear the ENGINEERING explanation as to how the amp knows the difference and why it will go full "Joan of Arc" if it doesn't get what it wants.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version