ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cable Cutters for 6/4  (Read 2249 times)

Paul Miller

Cable Cutters for 6/4
« on: August 15, 2023, 03:08:37 AM »

My first time making 50A cables with 6/4 SOOW. What size of cable cutters do I need to make a clean cut? For examples, Ideal has 14" cutters that will handle 250 MCM, 22" cutters that handle 500 MCM, and 32" cutters that handle 1000 MCM. What's the rule of thumb here?

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
Re: Cable Cutters for 6/4
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2023, 07:44:44 AM »

My first time making 50A cables with 6/4 SOOW. What size of cable cutters do I need to make a clean cut? For examples, Ideal has 14" cutters that will handle 250 MCM, 22" cutters that handle 500 MCM, and 32" cutters that handle 1000 MCM. What's the rule of thumb here?

Are you going to be doing a lot of this, or just doing one or two cables?  The tools above also list the largest diameter cable they’ll cut - I wouldn’t try to go anything shorter than the 22” handle for something of the 6/4 variety.  But if you don’t want to spend the tool cost for only a couple cables, a hack saw and a razor knife will get you a reasonably clean enough cut to terminate, it just takes a bit longer.

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2023, 12:38:57 PM »

Are you going to be doing a lot of this, or just doing one or two cables?  The tools above also list the largest diameter cable they’ll cut - I wouldn’t try to go anything shorter than the 22” handle for something of the 6/4 variety.  But if you don’t want to spend the tool cost for only a couple cables, a hack saw and a razor knife will get you a reasonably clean enough cut to terminate, it just takes a bit longer.

Good guidance. I’ve hack-sawed my way through quite a few electrical wires and cables back in the day. It’s messy, but it works. It helps to clamp the cable well in a vice or the like. You can clean up the mess using smaller diagonal-cutting pliers. I did finally buy a Klein 63035 that’s rated for 350 MCM. (Always fighting the last battle…) It will cut through 6/4 SOOW easily since it’s mostly rubber. If you do buy nice cutters don’t lend them to anyone. They are for copper and aluminum only, not bicycle locks, etc.

--Frank
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2023, 02:58:07 PM »

+1 on the hack saw method.  Yes, it's slower, but it's a tool you likely already have. Unless you plan on making more than a couple 50 amp feeders, that's the easiest route.  And the hack saw works on pretty much any gauge cable you end up working with then.
Brian Jojade

doug johnson2

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2023, 07:54:56 AM »

I have always cut out a piece of the jacket and then cut the individual conductors with cutters.

Paul Miller

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2023, 02:29:57 AM »

Thanks for the advice guys. Yes I have a hacksaw and my regular size cable cutters, and was considering that approach but didn't know if that was frowned upon. Right now I have an uncut 150' of 6/4 from which I plan to make 2x 50 footers and 2x 25 footers which gives me lots of options when planning out my power feeds. (My two main venues both have dual CS 50A connections.) And will probably make another separate 10 footer for a link cable. Oh and also a couple of shorty 14-50 to CS6364C adapters for flexibility. So yeah a little more cutting than one and done with the hacksaw but will consider that a workable option.

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2023, 09:54:27 AM »

Thanks for the advice guys. Yes I have a hacksaw and my regular size cable cutters, and was considering that approach but didn't know if that was frowned upon. Right now I have an uncut 150' of 6/4 from which I plan to make 2x 50 footers and 2x 25 footers which gives me lots of options when planning out my power feeds. (My two main venues both have dual CS 50A connections.) And will probably make another separate 10 footer for a link cable. Oh and also a couple of shorty 14-50 to CS6364C adapters for flexibility. So yeah a little more cutting than one and done with the hacksaw but will consider that a workable option.

The Klein cutter I have is only about $80 – less than just one of those stupid overpriced Hubble caps or connectors. Might be worth it?

Your plan sounds good. I've found having some short jumpers as you propose to be handy.

--Frank
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2023, 03:03:01 PM »

This is the product I got for cleaning up the ends of 2/0 to 4/0 copper feeder tail tips:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UOLCAO/

About $30, ratcheting (no He Man action required), also <10 inches end to end.  I've cut 6/4 with it without a problem.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2023, 03:57:10 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 19 queries.