ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: New RCF 702as MK3 + HD10a mkV or FBT Promaxx 110a and Subline 112sa  (Read 1138 times)

Richard Penrose

Re: New RCF 702as MK3 + HD10a mkV or FBT Promaxx 110a and Subline 112sa
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2024, 05:31:07 PM »

The only store I found that has had all three in stock at one point is Thomann which is in a different country. I sent them a message and their PA team recommended the EV's as their pick of the three.

It is looking like the EV system could be the one to go for a very small lightweight system where the tops can be used by themselves in full range for small events. I could look to add another pair of the 12sp subs at a later date if I felt I needed it and still have a small lightweight system. To get anything that will be a step up in audio quality whilst being a similar size and weight would be quite a massive step up in budget.
Alternatively there are the line array type systems but I would be committed to having to bring the subs to every single event! I heard the DB Technologies ES1203 a few years ago and I was blown away at how massive and loud this system went! This system also projects the sound a long way for its size! However, whilst the tops weigh only 7lbs each the sub weighs 64lbs and I would have to bring this to every single event! This sub doesn't have wheels but you can buy a magnet dolly cart that specifically clips onto the bottom of the ES1203. A pair of these would cost less than the EV system I mentioned though.
Another sub that has a pretty low weight vs performance is the new RCF905as mk3 which weighs 57 lbs. This would pair well with their upcoming NXL14a tops but again I would be committed to bringing this sub to every event and it costs around £1000 more than the EV system.

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2024, 05:49:42 PM »

The only store I found that has had all three in stock at one point is Thomann which is in a different country. I sent them a message and their PA team recommended the EV's as their pick of the three.
Not sure why being in a different country is an issue.  They deliver and return free of charge to the UK.  I've used this previously to compare speakers - the process just works.  Admittedly, post Brexit, it's less seamless for them, but it's still the same offer.

Also, would you really base a purchasing decision on an email exchange with a salesperson...>

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2024, 05:53:22 PM »

DXR8?  They didn't shrink the DZRs that small.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Scott Bolt

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2024, 09:55:35 PM »

It is looking like the EV system could be the one to go for a very small lightweight system where the tops can be used by themselves in full range for small events. I could look to add another pair of the 12sp subs at a later date if I felt I needed it and still have a small lightweight system. To get anything that will be a step up in audio quality whilst being a similar size and weight would be quite a massive step up in budget.
Alternatively there are the line array type systems but I would be committed to having to bring the subs to every single event! I heard the DB Technologies ES1203 a few years ago and I was blown away at how massive and loud this system went! This system also projects the sound a long way for its size! However, whilst the tops weigh only 7lbs each the sub weighs 64lbs and I would have to bring this to every single event! This sub doesn't have wheels but you can buy a magnet dolly cart that specifically clips onto the bottom of the ES1203. A pair of these would cost less than the EV system I mentioned though.
Another sub that has a pretty low weight vs performance is the new RCF905as mk3 which weighs 57 lbs. This would pair well with their upcoming NXL14a tops but again I would be committed to bringing this sub to every event and it costs around £1000 more than the EV system.
I haven't heard the EV ELX speakers in quite a while.  The initial release of these speakers were done around the same time as the JBL PRX and Yamaha DSR powered speakers.  In this environment, what I recall is that the ELX was considered the least of the 3.

Now, that was quite some time ago (2011 ish); however, the 10p is a 2017 design, so maybe it has some improvements over the previous 12's?

I find it challenging to believe that the ELX can go toe to toe with an RCF NX class speaker (910a); however, since I haven't heard this particular top, and haven't heard (or seen) an ELX200 12p in the wild for a decade, I certainly can't say that conclusively.

I would definitely find somewhere I could hear one though.  You have your DXR15 to compare it to as well as your Alto.  I would certainly compare those models AT LEAST.  It is also likely that you could find somewhere that carries both the ELX and DXR lines.  I would be surprised if an ELX200 10p compared favorably to a DXR10 MKII, but again, I haven't personally heard it.

Richard Penrose

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2024, 08:02:07 AM »

I haven't heard the EV ELX speakers in quite a while.  The initial release of these speakers were done around the same time as the JBL PRX and Yamaha DSR powered speakers.  In this environment, what I recall is that the ELX was considered the least of the 3.

Now, that was quite some time ago (2011 ish); however, the 10p is a 2017 design, so maybe it has some improvements over the previous 12's?

I find it challenging to believe that the ELX can go toe to toe with an RCF NX class speaker (910a); however, since I haven't heard this particular top, and haven't heard (or seen) an ELX200 12p in the wild for a decade, I certainly can't say that conclusively.

I would definitely find somewhere I could hear one though.  You have your DXR15 to compare it to as well as your Alto.  I would certainly compare those models AT LEAST.  It is also likely that you could find somewhere that carries both the ELX and DXR lines.  I would be surprised if an ELX200 10p compared favorably to a DXR10 MKII, but again, I haven't personally heard it.

Iím not expecting the ELX200 10p to compete with the RCF NX910 or DXR10 mk2. Iím more interested in how it compares to the RCF HD10a mkV. Iíve compared the RCF HD10 mkV to the Altoís and also compared the HD10a mkV/702as II to my DXR15ís.

My options are quite limited due to neck/shoulder issues and needing something very light with a side handle regarding tops. If it wasnít for this I would almost certainly be looking at the RCF NX910/905as or Yamaha DZR10/DXS12mkII system.

John Schalk

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2024, 09:32:40 AM »

Iím not expecting the ELX200 10p to compete with the RCF NX910 or DXR10 mk2. Iím more interested in how it compares to the RCF HD10a mkV. Iíve compared the RCF HD10 mkV to the Altoís and also compared the HD10a mkV/702as II to my DXR15ís.
I don't have any direct experience with EV's ELX speakers, but we do own and use a bunch of their ZLX 12" BT speakers (version 1).  What I can tell you about that series is that, despite having a range of built in presets (Live, Music, Speech) and mounting positions (Pole, Monitor, etc), there is no combination that will get you a flatish response out of the box.  All of the presets have a pretty big high frequency tilt and varying amounts of low frequency boost.  Fortunately, the Hi eq adjustment will tame the extra brightness pretty well (-6dB).  If you do get chance to listen to an ELX speaker, just bear in mind that EV might have tuned that speaker to stand out in a crowded show room too :)

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2024, 12:43:38 PM »

just bear in mind that EV might have tuned that speaker to stand out in a crowded show room too :)

MIGHT have ??  hahaha   ::)
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Richard Penrose

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2024, 01:03:03 PM »

I don't have any direct experience with EV's ELX speakers, but we do own and use a bunch of their ZLX 12" BT speakers (version 1).  What I can tell you about that series is that, despite having a range of built in presets (Live, Music, Speech) and mounting positions (Pole, Monitor, etc), there is no combination that will get you a flatish response out of the box.  All of the presets have a pretty big high frequency tilt and varying amounts of low frequency boost.  Fortunately, the Hi eq adjustment will tame the extra brightness pretty well (-6dB).  If you do get chance to listen to an ELX speaker, just bear in mind that EV might have tuned that speaker to stand out in a crowded show room too :)

I have used the mk1 ZLX12 and know what you mean. The RCF HD10a mkV were way less toppy.

ProSoundWeb Community

¬ę Reply #17 on: June 11, 2024, 01:03:03 PM ¬Ľ

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.