Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Lighting Forum

Adding Foldable Clamp to LED Par64s

(1/2) > >>

Nimrod Webber:
Hi there..

Thought I'd share this one.
I recently added some 200w LED Par64's to my inventory. They came in a nice road case but it is shallow and doesn't allow for the fixtures to be boxed with the truss clamps attached. This would mean that the clamps would need to be attached to each fixture and taken off at every gig.

I hate spending time bolting and assembling stuff at load in (and taking apart at load out..) more than is absolutely necessary, so I came up with this idea of making the regular clamp foldable using a 50mm coupler, some 3D printed parts and a movable lever tightening bolt.

See the video for details. Narration is in Hebrew but you'll get the idea.

https://youtu.be/V33Morww5UA

:)

Brian Jojade:
Looks like too easy of a point of failure.  If that bolt gets loose, the light will fall.  The lack of thread room available on the bolt is the big issue.

With a proper cheeseborough though, it would be an interesting design.

But, an easier solution would be just get the right sized road case.

Paul G. OBrien:

--- Quote from: Nimrod Webber on June 20, 2023, 03:12:41 PM ---I hate spending time bolting and assembling stuff at load in (and taking apart at load out..) more than is absolutely necessary,

--- End quote ---

I'm with you on that but aren't those big hook clamps overkill for these fixtures? They don't weigh much. Couldn't you just use O-clamps and spin the fixtures in the case so that the brackets lean over enough that everything fits under the lid?

Folding hook clamps are available but they are generally designed to mount on moving head type fixtures

Nimrod Webber:

--- Quote from: Brian Jojade on June 20, 2023, 04:50:48 PM ---Looks like too easy of a point of failure.  If that bolt gets loose, the light will fall.  The lack of thread room available on the bolt is the big issue.

--- End quote ---
I don't think that bolt is likely to get loose any more than the usual bolt and wing nut combination used to mount a clamp directly to a yoke.
The bolt's thread goes well past the nut. What are you referring to as 'thread room'?

--- Quote ---But, an easier solution would be just get the right sized road case.

--- End quote ---
As mentioned, the road case came with the lights. besides, with my limited transport volume available, any saving in cargo size is a bonus.

--- Quote from: Paul G. OBrien on June 20, 2023, 08:16:48 PM ---I'm with you on that but aren't those big hook clamps overkill for these fixtures? They don't weigh much. Couldn't you just use O-clamps and spin the fixtures in the case so that the brackets lean over enough that everything fits under the lid?

--- End quote ---
Unfortunately no.

--- Quote ---Folding hook clamps are available but they are generally designed to mount on moving head type fixtures

--- End quote ---
Folding clamps are usually implemented in pairs so they don't need to rotate. If they do rotate freely, they don't have an option for on-the-fly adjusting and locking the pan axis.

Craig Hauber:

--- Quote from: Nimrod Webber on June 20, 2023, 03:12:41 PM ---Hi there..

Thought I'd share this one.
I recently added some 200w LED Par64's to my inventory. They came in a nice road case but it is shallow and doesn't allow for the fixtures to be boxed with the truss clamps attached. This would mean that the clamps would need to be attached to each fixture and taken off at every gig.

I hate spending time bolting and assembling stuff at load in (and taking apart at load out..) more than is absolutely necessary, so I came up with this idea of making the regular clamp foldable using a 50mm coupler, some 3D printed parts and a movable lever tightening bolt.

See the video for details. Narration is in Hebrew but you'll get the idea.

https://youtu.be/V33Morww5UA

--- End quote ---
Thank you this is a great idea.  I will be able to make my tour cases 4" thinner and it looks like it can be done with easily available clamps. And it looks like even my small printer can handle those parts.
I was trying to figure out something involving welding and machine-shop type solutions but this doesn't involve modifying the fixture brackets in any way.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version