ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Best, least cost, low latency wireless audio distribution. Outside 100'  (Read 1902 times)

Mal Brown

I expect this topic has been beaten with a stick by now bit as of June 2023, what's the best bet ?

Application is talking heads and background music at an outdoor sports trade show.   I have to make a wireless hop of 100' or less where I can transition to cable.

A few hundred cell phones in attendence at all times so I'm leary of the 2.4 band.  Needessly leary ?  Maybe...

Years ago I saw a video of someone using a Sennheiser IEM setup.  Is that still the preferred rig ?  Is it really as simple as xlr to the TX and then a short TS to XLR to a powered speaker ?

if so... is there a hard wire possibility for power ?

Alto Stealth is still out there.  Alto anything is another thing I might be leary of... maybe due to unfamiliarity and ignorance 
though...

Thanks!

Thanks!
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light (deceased)
FB Willy & Nelson
FB SideShow

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics

For short hops, your standard wireless systems work great. You can either use an IEM transmitter and body pack on the receiving end, or a bodypack transmitter and a standard receiver on the opposite end.  If you get creative, you can use an IEM transmitter and a standard receiver, assuming you pick compatible devices. (pretty easy in the analog world)

Hardwiring for the battery depends on the type of connections in the bodypack, but should be just a simple DC power supply. (back when they used 9v batteries with the snap clips, it was super easy!

The Alto system looks like a nice dedicated system. I had them on order back when they were announced, but never got delivery of them.  Just like a wireless mic system, trusting them much over 100 feet becomes questionable.
Brian Jojade

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions

I use my Sennheiser IEM's as much if not more for wireless audio links.
With the Sennheiser's you can mate an IEM transmitter to a wireless mic receiver, using
external antennas on the receiver you can go well beyond 100'.

You do need to turn off the pilot option in the receiver.

Mal Brown

Thanks.  How about the 2.4g aspect of things.  My knee jerk is to stay clear but...
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Willy & Nelson
FB SideShow

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics

Thanks.  How about the 2.4g aspect of things.  My knee jerk is to stay clear but...

Avoid 2.4ghz for anything you want to reliably work.  While it may work MOST of the time, it wouldn't take much interference to cause issue.  And when 2.4 ghz devices have drop outs, it's not a fraction of a second like other wireless devices. Drop outs can last SECONDS, which is forever in the audio world.

Brian Jojade

Brad Harris

I'll use Senn IEM for many high end retail store gigs where cables are the sworn enemy, They fit great with powered speakers, but they aren't the same as a cable ... I'm unfamiliar with Sennheiser IEM to Wireless as we don't have any compatible systems.

When audio does count, Shure PSM1000 to UHFR has worked excellent in our applications, and no batteries required.

Brad

Raul Suarez

• Third Ear Sound

Shure ULXD or Axient work amazingly.  We have adaptor cables from the Belt pack antenna connector to BNC to connect to paddle antennas for longer distances and wall wart PSU's to replace the batteries in the belt pack transmitters.  As these are digital we have found them to be far super in the quietness of background noise compared to the Senn systems or Shure UFR/PSM systems we used in the past.  The analogue systems were fine with music played constantly, but much of the times that we need these they are for announce / dialogue that has frequent quiet or dead air times and the analogue noise was noticeable.  The digital systems obviously do not have that.  The Axient system in particular is amazing for long distance leaps working reliably at well over 1000 feet.
Raul Suarez
General Manager
Third Ear Sound

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail

I expect this topic has been beaten with a stick by now bit as of June 2023, what's the best bet ?

Application is talking heads and background music at an outdoor sports trade show.   I have to make a wireless hop of 100' or less where I can transition to cable.

A few hundred cell phones in attendence at all times so I'm leary of the 2.4 band.  Needessly leary ?  Maybe...

Years ago I saw a video of someone using a Sennheiser IEM setup.  Is that still the preferred rig ?  Is it really as simple as xlr to the TX and then a short TS to XLR to a powered speaker ?

if so... is there a hard wire possibility for power ?

Alto Stealth is still out there.  Alto anything is another thing I might be leary of... maybe due to unfamiliarity and ignorance 
though...

Thanks!

Thanks!

Lectrosonics Duet IEM will now talk directly to all Lectrosonics digital mic RX as well as the M2R and DCHR belt packs.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Scott Helmke

Sennheiser IEM is still a totally valid solution, or you can use Shure PSM900 or 1000 as a "point to point" transmitter to a UHF-R receiver.  Shure also sells an external power kit for the newer PSM beltpacks.

Avoid 2.4GHz at all costs.

Mal Brown

Is there a downside to the approach of Board to IEM TX and then Body pack receiver, TRS 1/8th wired TS to XLR M and powered speaker ?   This sounds like the cheap seats to me...

Sounds like using an IEM TX to a wireless mic RX is the other viable solution.  That sounds like buying 2 complete systems to me.  Which if it is absolutely the way to go, is not beyond reach.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Willy & Nelson
FB SideShow

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.