ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mixer Upgrade - Help mah brain do its work  (Read 1157 times)

Spenser Hamilton

Re: Mixer Upgrade - Help mah brain do its work
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2023, 07:25:25 PM »

- Is MT's service a legit worry?

Absolutely yes, if it breaks just throw it away.

I switched from M32 to SQ6 for my personal console - and run SD consoles at work - the SQ6 sounds fantastic and packs a lot of horsepower into a very small package.

The included TubeStage is nice coming from SD consoles (I love my DigiTubes), the included FX are passable to good and the add-on FX (at least the ones I've toyed with) are quite good.
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2023, 08:08:37 AM »

I switched from M32 to SQ6 for my personal console - and run SD consoles at work - the SQ6 sounds fantastic and packs a lot of horsepower into a very small package.

Pros/cons for me as follows:

X/M32 wins - Much better scribble strips.
X-32 Edit app on PC is much better than anything A&H have.
Cheap, everywhere, and available.
Much more flexible use of USB drive for scenes and audio playback - SQ-DRIVE is very restrictive, cryptic and unfriendly.
Wider range of effects, that don't require additional spend.

SQ wins - Fully customisable layers.
Superbly quick and easy I/O patching - hands down superior to X/M32 in every way.
Proper stereo channels - using just a single fader.
Up to 12 stereo mix-busses, as long as you have the I/O available.
48 full inputs.
Irritating - doesn't store mono/stereo inputs/output assignments in scenes
Ability to record 32 tracks to USB drive

John Schalk

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2023, 08:46:13 AM »

For me the question to ask yourself is, are there features in the SQ platform that you want or need?  To put the question another way, are there limitations in the X/M 32 platform that you want to avoid?  Here are the three things that I think are good reasons for considering a different console platform:
  • You need more than 32 mic pre-amps
  • You need more than 16 mix buses/groups.  For instance, mixing FOH and stereo in ears from the same console.
  • You need more than 4 stereo advanced rack effects slots. I'd like to use the Combinator more, but I have to give up an Effect to do so.
If none of those limitations apply to you, then it's really hard to beat the value that the X/M 32 platform offers.  You can get a compact console, remote stage box, and X32 Rack or M32 Core for the price of a console and stage box for any other system.  To me, having a fully redundant mixing platform is worth a lot.  My X32 Rack rides to gigs in the front of the van with the other spares.  What is your backup plan if buy an SQ?

With respect to Mountain Tribe's service, all of the failures that I know of with X32s pretty much fall into the "wore out" category.  By that I mean sticky faders or encoder knobs, and a main view screen.  Those parts are available, so getting an out of warranty X32 repaired is more about having access to a good electronics repair shop than working with MT.  A club I work at bought a new M32 two years ago and its display was purple.  We bought in from Sweetwater, so they sent us a new one and we shipped that one back.  I'm not trying to make light of the issues people have had with getting warranty service from MT, but digital consoles are also not powered speakers that a DJ can blow up.

Thomas Le

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2023, 09:05:56 AM »

Yes, the mixstation app is quite an upgrade for sure.  But the fact that they aren't updating their app is disturbing to me. 
This is false, there was an update 1 month ago.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2023, 12:09:42 PM »

This is false, there was an update 1 month ago.
Plus, it's basically one guy and a labor of love in his spare time.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

JohnReeve

• Honkytonk Sound Guy who can travel.
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2023, 12:31:38 PM »

Plus, it's basically one guy and a labor of love in his spare time.

Sorry to be unclear-- I love the mixstation app, it is indeed updated.  I intended no slander there- it's a big upgrade.  Having two tap buttons for delay plus some configurable layers is great.

I was referring to the Behringer x-air app, which is not being updated as far as I know.

JR
See yall at Kerrville Folk Festival!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2023, 12:31:38 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 22 queries.