ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Whats the new standard in wireless Com?  (Read 1589 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Whats the new standard in wireless Com?
« on: June 05, 2023, 01:10:27 AM »

I need to spec a comms system for our new space. I am ignorant of whats out there and what is good/bad/indifferent.

I am still using clear com party line systems from the 80’s and 90’s which works fine, but we are not going to have a ton of analog lines in this new space. Everything is networked now and my comms need to be able to play along.

What are you using and do you like/dislike it?
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Whats the new standard in wireless Com?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2023, 11:17:30 AM »

I need to spec a comms system for our new space. I am ignorant of whats out there and what is good/bad/indifferent.

I am still using clear com party line systems from the 80’s and 90’s which works fine, but we are not going to have a ton of analog lines in this new space. Everything is networked now and my comms need to be able to play along.

Wired? Studio Technologies, any of the Dante-based systems.

Wireless?  Bolero.  Or FreeSpeak II.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2023, 01:15:22 PM »

The new Clearcom Arcadia combines Clearcom Helix, Freespeak II and Dante as well as standard 4-wire and 2-wire ports into one very compelling package. One of the things I like about the Helixnet and Freespeak options is that it is fairly easy to subrent additional drops for those times when you need to expand the system for a special event. And it's easily reconfigured for different applications.

One thing it isn't is cheap. But any Intercom you invest in that seems like "a really good deal" almost certainly won't be in the long run....
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2023, 09:03:04 PM »

I agree with Tim and Brian.

You can also likely integrate your existing wired comms system with little/no hassle, and I much prefer a wired system over wireless if I have a choice.

Multi-point/multi-path flexibility of the newer digital comms systems is such a useful feature set, and it’s wonderful to be able to give corpy clients a way to get a hold of production without hearing the usual backstage babble.

If you find yourself needing to expand your system for your larger productions, having a system that can grow with you is great, but so is having one you can subrent additional beltpacks/bases/transceivers, etc.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Alex Donkle

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2023, 04:21:03 PM »

The new Clearcom Arcadia combines Clearcom Helix, Freespeak II and Dante as well as standard 4-wire and 2-wire ports into one very compelling package. One of the things I like about the Helixnet and Freespeak options is that it is fairly easy to subrent additional drops for those times when you need to expand the system for a special event. And it's easily reconfigured for different applications.

One thing it isn't is cheap. But any Intercom you invest in that seems like "a really good deal" almost certainly won't be in the long run....

Riedel's new budget-brand Punqtum seems promising for a wired intercom system with fewer features but still good quality, compared to the higher end wired intercom system.
https://punqtum.com/
Consultant

brian maddox

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2023, 01:58:45 PM »

Riedel's new budget-brand Punqtum seems promising for a wired intercom system with fewer features but still good quality, compared to the higher end wired intercom system.
https://punqtum.com/

And the contest for worst brand name has a new leader.....

Any idea of price point? Ish? Looks like a solid simple product.

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2023, 10:16:54 PM »

And the contest for worst brand name has a new leader.....

Any idea of price point? Ish? Looks like a solid simple product.

Glad I’m not the only one with the brand name thing.

Looks to be somewhat reasonable in terms of price

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2023, 10:35:12 PM »

We spec'd a Freespeak II system in 1.9ghz.

I still have time to change that, but thats what we asked for. We will be integrating it with our older Clearcom stuff where we can.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

brian maddox

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2023, 05:59:10 PM »

Glad I’m not the only one with the brand name thing.

Looks to be somewhat reasonable in terms of price

yeah, that pricing doesn't look terrible at all. Especially given the lack of base station requirement. I'd be interested to know the build quality.

I'd also be interested to know if this was an existing company product that Reidel just purchased to give it a marketable name. nothing wrong with that. just a good thing to know.

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

Cameron Trasuk

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2023, 08:46:54 PM »

yeah, that pricing doesn't look terrible at all. Especially given the lack of base station requirement. I'd be interested to know the build quality.

I'd also be interested to know if this was an existing company product that Reidel just purchased to give it a marketable name. nothing wrong with that. just a good thing to know.

It is an existing company reader bought

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2023, 08:46:54 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 23 queries.