ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 5 piece band outdoors - no subs.  (Read 1813 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
5 piece band outdoors - no subs.
« on: June 04, 2023, 11:17:13 AM »

I mixed a 5 piece band yesterday at an outdoor pool party.  I used their equipment (joy - LOL). Vocals, guitar, keys, bass, drums. They did NOT bring subs and were using DZR15's.
I personally use the DZR12's with subs myself for smaller shows and really enjoy them.
They miked the drums KK, SN, R Tom, F Tom and O/H.
I kept the Lo cut a little higher to accommodate.
I put kick and bass through the DZR15s but didn't need very much bass because the bass player was using backline and is a little loud on stage. I have to say I was quite impressed with how the bass, kick and lower keys sounded through just the tops. I've never listened to mine without subs TBH and of course mine are 12's but I'd heard folks say the low end on these speakers is pretty good and yesterday I heard it for myself.
I expected the vocals and mids to get a little muddy but that didn't happen. The kick didn't have the same thud that subs produce but it was certainly very decent sounding. Overall it was a nice clean sound and I was happy with the mix.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Richard Penrose

Re: 5 piece band outdoors - no subs.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2023, 11:47:45 AM »

I've had similar experiences with my DXR15's on an outdoor gig where I've run them without subs running a fully miked drum kit, bass, keys and 4 vocalists. There was 320 at the event and the DXR15's completely exceeded my expectations!

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2023, 12:06:33 PM »

Makes me wonder just how my 12's would fare in a similar situation ....
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Richard Penrose

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2023, 01:46:17 PM »

Makes me wonder just how my 12's would fare in a similar situation ....

I actually tried the DZR12's in this scenario and whilst they extend low, there was quite a lot of port noise but the DXR15's sound remained clean.

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2023, 02:32:17 PM »

I actually tried the DZR12's in this scenario and whilst they extend low, there was quite a lot of port noise but the DXR15's sound remained clean.

I see a pair of DZR15 in Debbie’s future.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2023, 08:02:40 PM »

I see a pair of DZR15 in Debbie’s future.

::)

Mark Scrivener

• My Recording Studio
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2023, 09:14:16 PM »

Before I got 12's and subs, I played plenty of gigs with 15's and no subs. As long as there is a backline for the bass player and it isn't a big show where you need to boost the kick a ton, the 15's do a surprisingly good job. When I switched to 12's + subs I also switched brands and product generations, so not a fair comparison, but there was a noticeable improvement in clarity and definition.

FWIW 15's were EV SXa250's. New setup was DXR112's (and now DZR12's) with PRX715XLF's. Gigs were rock/pop/jazz/folk, both indoors and outdoors. No EDM, Metal, or anything that required tons of bass. A few gigs had keys, occasional horns, but mainly guitars/bass/vocals/drums.

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2023, 02:51:00 AM »

Is that a port noise complaint?
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2023, 10:43:04 AM »

::) Shame!  ;D
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2023, 02:27:21 PM »

Mike, Mike, Mike.  That cracked me up.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2023, 02:27:21 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.