ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with Smaart Transfer Functions and Logic Pro  (Read 1669 times)

jacobskelley

Help with Smaart Transfer Functions and Logic Pro
« on: June 21, 2023, 11:07:07 AM »

Hello,

I’m hoping some can help me out with an issue understanding Smaart with my DAW. First a quick overview of my system and what I’m trying to get Smaart to help me with.

My church has invested in a new audio system to mix our  live streams on Sundays. All audio in the sanctuary and for the live stream rig is routed via Dante. We’re using a DAD core 256 as the Dante interface for live stream, going into an M1 Mac mini Studio, and mixing in-the-box with Logic Pro.

I’ve been recently looking into ways to use Auto-Tune in the vocal chain, and specifically in how to automate key changes in Auto-Tune from song to song, since there’s no recorded audio to work with I can’t use normal plug-in automation, so my work around for this has been to use Auto-Tune  in Apple’s MainStage, making different patches per song each with they’re own instance of Auto-Tune per vocalist with the correct key for the song, then routing the audio from MainStage to Logic via the DADman control software.

I’m able to get everything routed fine and MainStage does a great job switching between patches, however, there is noticeable latency between the audio coming from MainStage and the rest of the inputs in Logic (probably to be expected).

Enter Smaart, I’m trying to use the transfer function in Smaart to determine this latency and use a sample generator on the rest of the inputs in Logic to delay them to this. I have setup a TF with a “native” logic input as the reference, and a vocal channel coming first though MainStage then Logic as the measurement. I put a pink noise generator into one of the mic inputs of our RIO stage box and subscribed that input to both the channels via Dante so that everything is getting the same source. When I hit the “find” button in the TF it give me a delay reading of -23.04. I take this to mean that my measurement channel is behind my reference by 23.04ms. However, when I add a 23.04ms sample delay to my logic channel that is reference, and do the “find” feature again on the TF it gives me a reading that is exactly double what it was the first time (-46.04).  What’s also interesting is when I put the pink noise on two channels that are both in Logic only I get the same -23.04ms delay reading from Smaart, so is that the delay just in Logic?

Am I misusing Smaart, misunderstanding the TF, or the “find” feature? Any help would be greatly appreciated, and thanks for reading this whole thing.

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
Re: Help with Smaart Transfer Functions and Logic Pro
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2023, 10:50:31 AM »

Swap the inputs to SMAART?

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Help with Smaart Transfer Functions and Logic Pro
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2023, 10:50:31 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 23 queries.