ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Article about chinese clones  (Read 2187 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Article about chinese clones
« on: June 02, 2023, 03:36:50 PM »

I remember reading an article about the inventor of an audio device (I thought it was the Qbox, but thats fuzzy) and how it was cloned (I believe by Behringer) and that eventually led him to closing up shop and selling the design to (Whirlwind?) but now I can’t find that article.

Does anyone remember this?
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
Re: Article about chinese clones
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2023, 04:25:31 PM »

I don't recall seeing an article about it, but I think that was the case with Ebtech's cable tester. I still have several of them, they're much better than the B clone. The B was pretty much an exact copy, except for the quality. They still make it, and it's slightly better than it used to be, but still super cheap.

Ebtech was bought by Morley (the guitar pedal company) several years ago, and they no longer make that cable tester. It's too bad, too, I get a lot of use from the ones I have.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2023, 05:19:53 PM »

Thank you!

I was trying to tell somebody about this and couldn't remember all the details.

This is what I read and (sorta) remembered.

https://homerecording.com/bbs/threads/behringer-is-at-it-again.48497/
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Matthew Knischewsky

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2023, 12:26:01 PM »

Thank you!

I was trying to tell somebody about this and couldn't remember all the details.

This is what I read and (sorta) remembered.

https://homerecording.com/bbs/threads/behringer-is-at-it-again.48497/

Yes it was the Ebtech cable tester. But I'm sure there are other similar stories out there.

Interesting to go back and read comments from 2002, how the perspective has changed. Behringer now has THE ubiquitous entry level mixing console platform and Uli through Music has control of a good chunk of pro audio's legacy brands, for better or for worse.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2023, 01:00:29 PM »

I don't recall just one knock-off but during an early stage of Uli's growth, he successfully knocked off multiple "category killers". Dominant products generally sold by small companies (like Ebtech), reengineered for offshore production, and offered to the sound market at much cheaper price points.  These products were generally not protected by patent or trademark, but over the years there were several lawsuits.

He copied one of my small mixers (they even copied my owner's manual spec sheet verbatim). Peavey sued Behringer over his knock-off of my FLS feedback EQ system (Uli won that lawsuit so he invested in high quality legal representation).    :(

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2023, 04:40:59 PM »

The Behringer Shark was a copy of a Sabine FBX product.
The little Mackie board.
Evidently a Peavey mixer.
This Ebtech cable tester.
The 2 channel comp was a clone of some Drawmer piece.

And now they are into the analog synth game hot and heavy. Dozens and dozens of synths they are straight up not even hiding the fact that they are clones.

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2023, 04:28:29 PM »

He copied one of my small mixers (they even copied my owner's manual spec sheet verbatim).

JR

I seem to remember when Bob Lee was active here he noted the Behri EPX amps were similar (down to the silkscreening on the circuit boards) to QSC's RMX series, and again, with large chunks of the manual lifted word for word too.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2023, 07:05:44 PM »

Yup, it sucks for the companies that stuck their neck out and came up with designs.  Once they proved popular enough, Behringer made a look alike copy and released a product that claimed to be just as good for a fraction of the price, effectively sucking a good chunk of profits from the companies that deserved it.

It still stings that they used those profits and came up with the X32 which has turned out to be a great product.

I still cover every 'b' logo with gaff tape, or another sticker of some sort.
Brian Jojade

Scott Helmke

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2023, 07:41:53 PM »

I will admit that I bought (and still use) the Behringer clone cable tester.  Still wish I'd bought the real thing. :(

I won't buy any Behringer stuff these days partially because of that, but mainly because their service policy just plain sucks. The support website is plastered with pictures of people wearing telephone headsets, but you will *never* *ever* *in a million years* actually be able to talk with somebody.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2023, 08:02:26 PM »

I seem to remember when Bob Lee was active here he noted the Behri EPX amps were similar (down to the silkscreening on the circuit boards) to QSC's RMX series, and again, with large chunks of the manual lifted word for word too.
Yup that happened.
Yup, it sucks for the companies that stuck their neck out and came up with designs.  Once they proved popular enough, Behringer made a look alike copy and released a product that claimed to be just as good for a fraction of the price, effectively sucking a good chunk of profits from the companies that deserved it.

It still stings that they used those profits and came up with the X32 which has turned out to be a great product.

I still cover every 'b' logo with gaff tape, or another sticker of some sort.
I used to have customers tape over the Peavey logo...  ::)

the X32 was a notable accomplishment, give credit where credit is due, and blame where due.  8)

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2023, 08:02:26 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 25 queries.