ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can anyone recommend a good direct-drive turntable?  (Read 364 times)

davidpeters74

Can anyone recommend a good direct-drive turntable?
« on: May 15, 2024, 02:39:56 PM »

Hey everyone hope you all are doing great. I am looking to purchase a new direct-drive turntable. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
Re: Can anyone recommend a good direct-drive turntable?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2024, 09:03:45 PM »

The defacto industry standard the past 50 years:  https://www.technics.com/global/home/sl1200.html

Used in broadcast and clubs, as well as mobile DJ setups.  I have one in my home studio.

davidpeters74

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2024, 04:33:48 AM »

The defacto industry standard the past 50 years:  https://www.technics.com/global/home/sl1200.html

Used in broadcast and clubs, as well as mobile DJ setups.  I have one in my home studio.

Thanks for the suggestion here, Steve. I will read more about its specification. It looks amazing though :)

« Last Edit: May 17, 2024, 03:14:59 PM by davidpeters74 »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2024, 03:09:43 PM »

My suggestion is the SL1200MKIII or whatever the current model number is. Been the industry standard for 40 years.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2024, 01:31:38 AM »

My suggestion is the SL1200MKIII or whatever the current model number is. Been the industry standard for 40 years.
Went exploring down the internet rabbit hole and yes, Technics is still with us and still part of Panasonic/Matsushita and they make various "audiopile" stuff with a large selection of turntables beyond just the DJ one.
Looks like the SL1200MK7 is the current workhorse.
I've been using my original SL1200 for decades and it seems to still be working as normal.  With a Shure cartridge too.  Audiophiles generally snob on direct-drive but I've never heard anything unpleasant from it (aside from artistic considerations of course)
Good to know a company I liked as a kid is still around and hasn't been swallowed by a Harman/Samsung type overlord yet.  As far as plastic audio equipment is concerned, Panasonic seems to outlast other similar products.  At least my Ramsa speakers can attest to that.
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2024, 09:45:32 AM »

Went exploring down the internet rabbit hole and yes, Technics is still with us and still part of Panasonic/Matsushita and they make various "audiopile" stuff with a large selection of turntables beyond just the DJ one.
Looks like the SL1200MK7 is the current workhorse.
I've been using my original SL1200 for decades and it seems to still be working as normal.  With a Shure cartridge too.  Audiophiles generally snob on direct-drive but I've never heard anything unpleasant from it (aside from artistic considerations of course)
Good to know a company I liked as a kid is still around and hasn't been swallowed by a Harman/Samsung type overlord yet.  As far as plastic audio equipment is concerned, Panasonic seems to outlast other similar products.  At least my Ramsa speakers can attest to that.
The turntable for my home playback system is an SL1700MKII, 'semi-automatic' that lifts the tone arm at the run out, but does not swing the arm back to its rest.  It replaced the Harman Kardon/Rabco belt drive, linear tracking tone arm (the Rabco part) that had too much rumble.  Ortofon cartridge (before they became DJ-preferred brand).
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

DJ Mister Vince

• JammText & Kueit software by Mixcity Inc.
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 03:19:56 PM »

I agree technics 1200 are the way to go. I have multiple sets of em & even a set that is 32 years old. I purchased them new in 92. They still work great! And these things got used a lot. So they seriously hold up over time. What can you buy today that will last that long?
DJ Mister Vince
Full Throttle Radio
http://mixcityinc.com

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber