Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB: The Classic Live Audio Board

dLive Firmware Update Crashed the Network

(1/1)

Jeff Lelko:
Greetings,

I seem to have run into quite the issue while trying to update the firmware on my dLive DM32.  The system had been running just fine and played a job on Monday without issue.  Wednesday I attempted to update the firmware to V1.97 via dLive Director networked to the DM32 (no surface). 

The file pushed fine onto the DM32 from what I can tell, but upon reboot neither dLive Director nor my IP8 fader wing can connect to the Mixrack.  Director sees the Mixrack on the connection window but fails to establish the connection.  I've unplugged the IP8 to take that out of the equation and did a network reset on the Mixrack to no success.

On top of that, my Macbook now sporadically won't talk to the (wired) network switch that lives in my DM32 rack.  In other words it's like the DM32 bricked the network, even after disconnecting it from the switch.  My hunch is that the DM32 firmware defaulted to DHCP instead of its fixed IP address and caused a conflict with the DHCP switch.  From what I can tell the Mixrack itself is working fine, though without network I can't confirm this and I won't have a surface at my disposal until next weekend.

Any thoughts on this one?  Picking through the A&H forums it looks like network oddities have happened before during firmware updates but nothing quite like this.  Thankfully the unit isn't needed this weekend but will be next weekend, so I'm under some schedule pressure to get this back up and running.  Any suggestions will be much appreciated!

TJ (Tom) Cornish:

--- Quote from: Jeff Lelko on June 01, 2023, 08:10:57 PM ---Greetings,

I seem to have run into quite the issue while trying to update the firmware on my dLive DM32.  The system had been running just fine and played a job on Monday without issue.  Wednesday I attempted to update the firmware to V1.97 via dLive Director networked to the DM32 (no surface). 

The file pushed fine onto the DM32 from what I can tell, but upon reboot neither dLive Director nor my IP8 fader wing can connect to the Mixrack.  Director sees the Mixrack on the connection window but fails to establish the connection.  I've unplugged the IP8 to take that out of the equation and did a network reset on the Mixrack to no success.

On top of that, my Macbook now sporadically won't talk to the (wired) network switch that lives in my DM32 rack.  In other words it's like the DM32 bricked the network, even after disconnecting it from the switch.  My hunch is that the DM32 firmware defaulted to DHCP instead of its fixed IP address and caused a conflict with the DHCP switch.  From what I can tell the Mixrack itself is working fine, though without network I can't confirm this and I won't have a surface at my disposal until next weekend.

Any thoughts on this one?  Picking through the A&H forums it looks like network oddities have happened before during firmware updates but nothing quite like this.  Thankfully the unit isn't needed this weekend but will be next weekend, so I'm under some schedule pressure to get this back up and running.  Any suggestions will be much appreciated!

--- End quote ---
I donít believe the DM32 will act as a DHCP server, so not sure how it would negatively affect other devices on the network, however itís possible your static IP configuration got lost and itís acting as a DHCP client and you canít find it now to connect to. The easiest way is to download a free IP scanner app like Advanced IP Scanner. It will inventory your network and tell you which addresses are active and give some detail about the devices based on maker of the network card. You will be able to rule out 80% of devices on the network and get down to a small number of potential addresses the DM32 could be.

Jeff Lelko:
Thanks for the input TJ, I really appreciate it.  I captured a screenshot after finally getting things sorted out today that implies the MixRack can respond to DHCP, though I'm guessing this feature just allows the unit to have its IP address assigned by a DHCP host and not actually act as a DHCP server.  I just recall from the dLive training I got back in 2018 when I bought into the ecosystem to leave this setting alone, otherwise I could possibly lose access to the unit similar to what I experienced.

Either way, I spent time with the MixRack today and think everything is back to normal.  Using a standalone SG350 I worked one piece of the system at a time until everything was playing nicely.  I noticed that new firmware was pushed to the IP8 as well, so all I can surmise is that between the MixRack, the IP8, and dLive Director all running for the first time together on new firmware something got caught in a do-loop.  One oddity is that Director doesn't automatically show the MixRack in the list of network devices and I need to input its IP address manually to connect, but given where I was a few days ago I'll call that a win for this weekend and hope everything continues to work properly on its next job this coming weekend!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version